Just when I thought the jet lag was over, it seemed to get worse. Every morning I've been waking up really early without the alarm clock (good), but every night at 8 pm, I have turned into a pumpkin. Today that seemed to change, but I was also being very active at 8 pm (at the gym) so maybe I would have gotten super tired had I not been out.
I'm still uploading pictures, but at least enough are up to share the link: http://picasaweb.google.com/lifeonskinnytires/Italia# (this only goes 1/2 way through the bike trip so lots of cool pics are still coming). Every day I get a few more up. I've been trying to caption them, but that's taking quite awhile.
Here's a picture of people at hot springs (on a hot day) on the last day of the bike trip. I'm including the picture just because I REALLY want hot springs right now. I leave Denver for ~20 days and it goes from summer to winter. It was raining a good portion of the day today and tonight it smelled like snow (and was quite chilly).
Yesterday was my second ride since being back, but the first long ride. It was 40 miles all uphill, then 40 miles down with a tailwind. Started at 6:30 am since the Italian Festival was going on and I didn't want to miss it! I haven't ridden that far without a break for espresso, melone, figs or a full garden-fresh lunch in a very long time. I missed the food stops.
Had a scary blowout with my front tire, but fortunately the tire stayed on the rim and I was able to get the bike stopped before the rim touched the pavement. This is the second time I've had a ride-stopping mechanical really close to The Bike Station. Funny, because I was thinking that I should drop in to say hi to Pete and tell him all about the trip.
The Italian Festival was enjoyable since it was fairly authentic--all of the signs were in Italian and there were quite a few true Italians there (like those who speak the language). I kept myself away from the gelato and other food so as to not mess up my memory of what I had eaten in Italy, but I did have a very pleasing cannoli. The live music was fun and definitely the best part, well, and enjoying the time with my parents who have become much more interested in all things Italian lately. I wonder why!
Saturday I spent at a Theology of the Body conference. If you're Catholic (or even if you aren't), I highly recommend learning all about it. I think it holds the answers to so much of what is confusing in life, especially when it comes to relationships and the fundamental meaning of life. Theology of the Body is straight from the teachings of Pope John Paul II, he spent most of his life developing it but it doesn't sound like anything you'd ever hear a priest or a pope say. Seriously, check it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment