Friday, September 18, 2009

Trying to get back into normal life

It just occurred to me today that I don't remember seeing anyone walking around the streets talking on their cell phones or texting anywhere in Italy. I'm sure people do it somewhere, but not to the extent we do it here. And I saw quite a few young people all over the streets and on the beach (in Fano).

Another thing that took some getting used to is all of the big cars here. Even the small ones are huge compared with Italian Fiats and zippy matchbox-sized cars. And I had to get used to driving again (not that I wanted to, I could be very happy never driving).

It has been really tricky to sit and work yesterday and today. After being so active for so long, I got into that mode of moving constantly (unless I was sitting down at a meal). Tonight I ran and lifted, that helped rid me of some pent up energy. The time on the bike really kindled my desire to be race-fit again. And the trip helped me get close to race weight. After all of the huge meals and gelati (that's plural for gelato), I came home lighter. Maybe I should write a book entitled "The Gelato Diet."

Italian Fair coming up this weekend in Denver! I'm so excited to go, but am concerned the food won't be as good as it is in Italy, I don't want to eat anything that might possibly erase the memory of those flavors, textures, aromas...

No comments: