Monday, September 07, 2009

More...







I am too paranoid about losing pics, etc, so am posting more. First, quick update--the guy who showed me around Bevagna day before yesterday who was married to Franchescas sister is Irmo Gasparrini. He lives with his one daughter directly across the street from where Ledas house is. (Sorry, I cant find the apostrophe on this international keyboard and I am tired of trying to use different English to work around it).

Orvieto (where we are now) is a cool town. It has one heck of an amazing cathedral (built around the year 1240)--we got a tour of it yesterday. They also have tons of underground caves, we got a tour of those, too. the caves were built by the Etruscans Many of the caves are now being used as wine cellars. Dinner last night was at a pastry shop. First, they showed us how to make pasta and then they (it is a family) made us dinner. They have a dining area that they only open upon reservation or for dignitaries. So it was definitely a treat to help make dinner (just the pasta portion) and then they served us many other wonderful treats during the evening. I love eating family style. Every room we stay in has a tv, but there is no time to watch it. I flipped it on quickly just to hear the Italian, but otherwise, no tv (or radio for that matter). I dont miss either.









Pic as we were riding to Prodo. This is one example of a breathtaking view that you just turn your head and bam, there it is, something totally unexpected, totally gorgeous. I didnt expect to see water. The problem is that the terrain changes so fast that any time I wait to take a pic because I think I will have a better vantage point, everything changes and the chance for that photo op is then gone.




The familys wine cellar in the caves below Orvieto. It went on and on and on! They have hundreds of bottles of wine (they made themselves) and most were very dusty/old.




Looking down from Orvieto to the land below.




Making pasta! Wow, that is a weird expression on my face.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! This all looks sooo incredible!! I can't wait to hear more about it when you get home. I love the updates until then...