With the internet giving me issues (it's a mix of not having access and my computer not being able to connect to wifi (it is now), I've been journaling a lot on paper. I expect to post all pictures and the full story of the trip after I get home, but I'm not thinking about being home right now. Dinner is in 1/2 an hour and that's what's on my mind.
Food in Italy (at least in this region, Umbria, and the last one I was in) is TREMENDOUS. It's not the bowl full of pasta that Americans call Italian. Here's a good example. Yesterday's lunch (during our ride from Genga to Gubbio) was at a cute little place in the middle of the countryside. The woman has a garden where all of the ingredients come from. The cantalope and watermelon were to-die-for-good, she made a rice dish with olives in it and chopped up veggies, there was a garden salad, very thinly sliced meat and chunks of cheese, a rasperry torte (not sure what you call it) and wine also made by her. Only locals were eating there aside from us. It was such an experience. You don't order off of the menu--you eat whatever she decided to prepare based on what was freshest in the garden that day. THIS IS EATING! None of the food is very heavy, yes, there's pasta, but it's a part of a much bigger production at every meal so there's no getting stuffed. Goodness, it's fresh, wonderful.
The secret of longevity can be found here in Italy. Most people live in the home of their parents and their parents. The grandparents help raise the grandkids, so they have a very definite purpose. Everyone goes to the market every day to get fresh veggies...just the walk to and from the store provides people the aerobic exercise they need to stay healthy (don't forget how hilly it is everywhere). Young people don't need super high-paying jobs--they don't have a mortgage and they have help with child care in the form of their family members (no daycare, I wonder if that exists at all here).
Often as I walk through the streets of whichever town we're visiting, I see people on the streets talking to each other. Typically someone will be leaning out of a 2nd floor window (they don't have screens on their windows, just beautiful shutters) and talking to people on the street who are passing by.
I apologize if I'm repeating myself. Keeping 2 journals makes it tricky to remember what's been shared and what hasn't. The weather has been picture perfect almost the whole time. The heat and humidity are down somewhat from the highs in the middle of the summer. This morning we thought we might get rain today, but the clouds passed. Most days we don't see any clouds at all anywhere in the sky.
The tour company (Ciclismo Classico) has absolutely blown me away with everything they're doing to make this trip wonderful. They have an interest in giving us the cultural experience, but also we get ample miles every day. There's always an extra loop option to add additional miles and climbing. Most of the time these additional loops also add another phenomenal view(s) or new terrain. I've gone on all of them and my legs are pretty much so exhausted, I'm ready for some downtime tonight. Makes it much easier to sit here on the computer. We have all day/night in Spello tomorrow so I will go out shopping/gelato-eating tomorrow evening. All morning tomorrow I will be in Bevagna. One of our guides got in touch with someone in the family--Marcello Trabalza, I'll be meeting him tomorrow morning. I think one of the guides will come with me (yea! a translator. I really like both of our guides, they're so knowledgeable about the areas, but it's also very good that they know a ton about riding and are fit). I was getting some good coaching while climbing today by Marcello. Frank (our other guide) has all of these ties to Denver, his sister lives there and she's tied into the Italian community there. I really hope to get to know that community better--and definitely learn the language.
Oops, it's dinner time now and I can't wait to eat. Metabolism is on overdrive! Sorry about the pictures, still having issues uploading them.
Buona sera!
AND: Thank you to everyone who has emailed/commented, your messages are so incredibly appreciated...I bring your thoughts with me as I travel this very special place.
2 comments:
Oh, my, sounds so WONDERFUL !!!!!!!!
This IS the PERFECT lifestyle! What I dream of. So happy that you are enjoying yourself & taking it all in. I have been enjoying your posts.
Post a Comment