Bevagna--it's only been a fairy tale to me prior to today. I rode my bike to Bevagna--I went solo...well, not quite. Not far out of Spello, I stopped to check directions to see which way I should go. I wasn't 100% sure on what to do so I asked a passing cyclist (in Italian) which way to Bevagna. He ended up riding with me most of the way there. Fortunately, his English was good and he was very nice.
Our guides were not totally available to go with me because one of the guys on this trip crashed and is spending time in the hospital. He'll be okay, but got a pretty bad concussion and road rash (hit some bad pavement).
Back to Bevagna--I got those warm, yet cold, chills as I rode in and I kept feeling them almost the whole time I was there. The highlight was the church where Grandma was baptized and many relatives have been married and baptized. It's a beautiful church and the door was unlocked with no one inside. So I had a lot of time to myself in there to pray and think about the people who have attended that church and what has happened there that is so significant to our family.
I rode through the streets, up and down, just to get a feel for the place. Found the commune to try to get the marriage certificate for my great grandmother and great grandfather. There was a museum of Bevagna where I stopped, there was a book that had photos from the town since 1920. I have taken a couple of pics, I'll share them w/family to see if you recognize them...they had the last names of Rosa and Rosetti.
Spent some time shopping, stopped for a croissant when I was starving and watched the old men who were all sitting together outside near the piazza just chilling and chatting together. I asked a bunch of people if they knew our relatives, but no one did. I think I picked the wrong people. Tomorrow there will be another chance to talk with older people in the piazza in Bevagna so I'll see what I can do. And I'll get to the grave yard, as well.
I know right now that I need to come back here with much more time on my hands and not be on any schedule to actually sit down and meet with my relatives. I want to see them so badly, but I also know there has to be more than a couple of minutes. I'll update more tomorrow (if there's internet in Todi, that's where we're headed on the bike ride tomorrow after passing through and spending some time in Bevagna).
After I rode back to Spello from Bevagna, I went on a tour of Assisi with the group. It was a bit touristy, but the churches were awesome (huge/gorgeous frescos/multi-leveled monstrosities). We had a guide who was very knowledgeable. After that we hit a family winery for wine tasting. I know a lot more about wine now.
Heading out to check out Spello now, it's a beautiful summer evening (it was pretty hot and humid today).
I'll update much more later on more thoughts on Bevagna and, of course, many pics are coming. Honestly, after I got back from there, I wasn't in a talkative mood, the whole experience really just needs to be absorbed and reflected upon before being able to really put in words what it was like.
I will be returning to Italy soon.
Buona sera!
2 comments:
wow, wow & wow !
Wow, so awesome to have this experience. You gave me chills reading this.
Post a Comment