Yawn! I'm tired. I have been wanting to sleep all day today. After riding my bike for 481 miles and having oxygen to consume (I took full advantage of the additional fuel), many of those were really hard ones that tapped my legs for everything they had to give. (In Colorado, my lungs hurt. At low altitude with rollers and tons of climbing, it's my legs that feel it.) I might have to cross race this year (hadn't been planning on it), but it seems like a shame to do the equivalent of training camp and not race until next spring.
After a picture perfect morning in Porto Ercole, Gina and I got on the train early this morning. It took us to Pisa where we got another train to Florence. The train ride was very comfortable and the time flew by (3 hrs total). Our hotel was easy to find and the woman working the front desk was super sweet (Nadia) and very helpful to give us an idea as to how to get around town.
She recommended to us that we go to this local trattoria (where the locals eat) just a couple of blocks away. There, the food was super fresh and the highlight was their oh so wonderful gnocchi--the best I have ever had. Check it out: the meal included a first course, second course, house vino and vegetable dish all for 10 euros. And it was so good! The people eating there were all locals and friendly. We ended up making friends with the older patrons even though none of them spoke a word of English. They are all so friendly. One of the guys asked Gina if all Americans are as friendly as she is (she was the one talking to him, I was not facing him). Gina has been great to travel with. It's hard to believe that we hadn't met prior to the first day of this trip.
After lunch, we zonked with a power nap and then caught a bus that took us to the San Miniato cathedral (and graveyard, you have to see the pics to understand--the graves are sort of sticking out of the ground in the front on the cathedral lawn) and the Piazzale Michelangelo (it's a grand place to see out over all of Florence). The duomo is huge, we'll get there tomorrow at some point. Then we walked back to the hotel, taking the very long way checking out lots of streets and neighborhoods.
So far, I have yet to see two buildings that are the same in Italy. The architecture is so unique and wonderful in its age and design. My time is nearly out on the computer here, so I'd better go.
Thanks to everyone who has sent me emails, I've received them and really appreciate them!!!
Ciao!
No comments:
Post a Comment