Sunday, September 06, 2009

Bevagna, Take 2






Yesterday morning I started off early to get to Bevagna before the group arrived so that I could do a few more things in town. It was a little frustrating trying to find the home of my great grandfather (then Ledas home) and a few other places where people lived. Landmarks changed and whole addresses changed. I was pretty sure I was going to leave empty handed. After asking every person and neighbor I could (none spoke any English), it was clear to me that I was barking up the wrong tree.

Next I went back to the Commune to find Antonio, the guy who would give me the marriage certificate of my great grandmother and great grandfather if he was around/everything worked out okay. He sent me away and told me to come back at 10:30. I was getting a little nervous since the bike group I am here with was going to be in town at that time and I did not think it prudent to miss riding with them out of town to Todi (our final destination yesterday).

So I headed into the square and there was one of our guides, Marcello, talking with two cute little old men. One is a friend of his, Professor Piatti, the other was married to the sister of Franchesca (when she was alive, she died recently). He knew the WHOLE story of our family! I asked him about the home where Dora played when she was little. He took me there. I asked about the home of my great grandfather, he took me there, too!!! He does not speak any English, but with the help of Marcello translating everything, I had a good conversation with this wonderful man. It was a very touching experience.
This is Marcello doing an excellent job of translating!

Upon concluding that visit (it was very short, of course), I returned to the commune where Antonio walked me all over the place and I am now in possession of the marriage certificates for my great grandmother and great grandfather--1913! WOW!!!





Standing in front of the home where my great grandfather died with the bro-in-law of Franchesca (I have his name and address, just forgot to bring my journal with me for this internet session).






Full shot of the house. No one lives there currently, but the family is keeping it.


He said that this house is where my great grandfather and great grandmother used to live earlier. He said that it has been expanded since then. Does anyone recognize it?

The ride to Todi was fabulous. I caught back up with the group (they had stopped for food in Mount Falcone (sp)--I will get this blog all updated with correct info when I have time. Right now I am paying $5 euro every 1/2 hr for internet. Ack. There was (as always) tons of climbing and the end of the ride included a 2k, 22% grade climb. It was fun, but thank goodness (yet again) for the triple.

Todi--it rained last night (for the first time in weeks, er, months possibly) there. The vino is all the better for it, it sounds like. The rain did not impede our visit at all.


Later that night in Todi (on the way to the most marvelous pizza dinner I have ever had).


More later, I have 3 minutes left before I get kicked off this computer.

And yes, I love Italy and ooooh the riding just keeps getting better. Tired now, though. Over 500 kilometers have been logged so far. YEAAAAA for all of it!!!!

1 comment:

da' hammer said...

So happy & excited for you! I am sure you are on cloud 9!
Jay