
We made it to Rome today. This morning was a bit stressful with trying to get train tickets and then trying to get to our seat on the train. It wasn't a big deal, however, and made it without a problem. Now we're in a hip part of the city, where everything is just beginning to open up for dinner (between 3 and 7:30 almost all businesses close in Italy).
My feet are tired from tons of walking, but it's entirely worth it...I found a great pair of Italian boots (made with Italian leather) in Florence that I just don't want to take off.
We're staying near the Vatican so strolled through St. Peter's Square on the way to other sites. The enormity of it is unreal. Everywhere one looks, there is another huge, beautiful statue or building made of beautiful stone.
The drivers and motor scooters are as crazy as everyone says they are.
I'm having yet more problems uploading pictures...and considering I'm not using my computer, there shouldn't be an issue. Hrumph! I am glad to be away from the computer for most of the time, the break has been healthy for me!
Florence was a cool town and enjoyable. Rome is a bit huge and overwhelming, but I am going to try to appreciate it for all of the history, art and church stuff. I really miss the small towns, natural beauty, simplicity of the small towns I biked through during the bike portion of this trip. I feel like that's really living Italy.
I'll post more about the food here later, it deserves a very, very long post. It is so amazingly delicious and overall very good for you (yes, I'm beginning to appreciate wine for the first time, too). I've found that I am digesting this food so much more easily than Italian food as it is served in the US. And I have not been shy in eating the meat, since it comes in small quantities and is always moist and good.
Internet time is up, time to go find dinner (a place a friend in CO recommended since it's not touristy).
Ciao for now!
No comments:
Post a Comment