Friday, April 30, 2010

Whirlwind (Figuratively similar to the wind in CO/NM right now)

This week, in general, has been a real flurry of activity on a lot of different fronts. The week started with the visit in Bevagna with my friends/the tour I did last year coming through, dinner Tues evening, then Wednesday the visit to the sports doc in Umbertide (around 60 km roundtrip) which involved getting out of the apt super early Wednesday, Thursday moving into a new apartment (so I can live with Italians and not be speaking English much as I have been), meeting up with guys on a team who I'm going to be racing for (they're so awesome, they're doing a lot of work to get me a race license and clothes for the race tomorrow), then a class gathering hosted by the Japanese students yesterday evening and today I'm finishing up the move and getting the bike ready for tomorrow. All of this along with a full class schedule, studying and training. Now to slow down and rewind a little.

Internet in my new place is significantly better than it was at the old place (actually I'm at the "old" place now). The girls (2), though there might be a 3rd, seem nice but I haven't been home there more than a few minutes yet so I don't know much. From what I can tell, cleaning isn't a huge priority to them (good and whew). They said there isn't a cleaning schedule and it sounds laid back. They both smoke and go to bed late, so it seems like the average Italian reality (totally fine with me). My camera (bedroom) is tiny compared with my last one. I will have to get creative with where to put the bike & monster bike bag. The view isn't any better or worse, but at least laundry can hang outside to dry (inside it takes close to forever...small problem when it comes to workout clothes).

Yesterday evening, the Japanese students in my class (28 students total) hosted a cool evening of Japanese food and culture. I'm guessing we have 5-6 Japanese students in the class. They wanted to share their culture with all of the other cultures (probably . Most of the class came! There were 24 of us by my count. One of the guys pointed out that it was the best party since we all knew each other...and we all spoke Italian with each other most of the night. It's the only language we all have in common and so many of us are getting to know each other better now that we have enough Italian to exchange more meaningful information. ("What do you like to drink? What's your favorite food?" Okay--I said more meaningful (we can't discuss our philosophies on life just yet...though in Italy, food and drink comprises a major part of that philosophy). My camera stayed at home, but everyone else had theirs. Will post pics as soon as they are available.

There have to be at least 13 different countries represented. People from 6 continents. Considering the major differences in our families and cultures, religions, native languages, appearances, etc., if we were all wearing a paper bag on our heads last night, you would think we were all from the same place, enjoying each other's company just as much (actually even more) than if we all were from the same town with the same background.

The picture at the top of this post was written by one of my friends in the class...it's my name written in Japanese two ways. (They have different alphabets, so I think each uses a different alphabet.) All I know is that I'm glad I was born English-speaking. I don't have the brain for complicated languages!

I talked with my language lab teacher after class yesterday. My ear is having a hard time picking up the different sounds in Italian. I can tell many of the other students aren't having as difficult of a time hearing the sounds. My guess is that it helps that they all have 2 or 3 languages, so their ears are trained a bit better. The professor promised me that in two months, I'll be "running" with the language. I can tell a huge difference since the first week of class in how I hear Italian, comprehend and talk--though I'm still at a 2-year-old level, noting this difference really helps give me energy to keep working at it and I know it's coming. Their teaching style is terrific, I think there's a lot the American school system could learn from it. Speaking of which, my 2nd homework assigned is due Monday. Write a letter to someone talking about the future.

The Future.

Yesterday in class, the teacher had us discuss what we will be doing in 5 years. I used to always be able to easily (and enthusiastically) answer the question of what I'd be doing in 5-10 years. When she asked us this, I was at a complete loss. I have finally gotten very comfortable with not knowing or trying to "engineer" my future. The feeling of letting go cannot be paralleled. There's no part of me that is concerned about the future, nor am I living like some crazy person who isn't concerned about the future (some people live for today in a reckless way). The future takes care of itself if the present is lived properly. This is my approach to things.

I don't know what the future holds, nor do I have any particular expectation for that future. Whatever happens will be for the best and I'm simply okay with that reality. Every day between now and my "future" so far has been an adventure and each great (or if not great, somehow needed) in its own way. Can't ask for much more than that.

On that note, time to get a lot accomplished today and get in a quick pre-race ride. More stories coming Sunday, probably. Tomorrow will be long and it's May 1 which is an Italian holiday (yet another reason for festivals, parties and food) as well as the Gran Fondo.

No comments: