Thursday, April 15, 2010

How long should a 1 L bottle of olive oil last?

I want to know what the FDA would have to say about olive oil consumption. The other day, I made a Freudian slip and described my olive oil consumption as "drinking" it. Let's just say that I don't drink, uh, I mean consume, it quite as fast as water, but it's only a tad more expensive than water, so it might as well be enjoyed. On most everything, for most meals. Tutti.
You've been patiently awaiting some sort of pictures. Here's tonight's dinner. Tortellini and pesto from the grocery store (another something that's dirt-cheap here). Also imagine steamed spinach as the 2nd course. 3rd course will probably be wine and bar food--am going out tonight. Thursday just seems like the best night to go out and my classmates aren't off traveling for the weekend. So many kids in this town go out every night. I'm just too old to party that much and survive. (Actually, I've always been "too old" to party on school nights.)

Would have loved to get good pictures from today's ride, but it turns out that after I went through Assisi and found an interesting new road to follow, a couple of lycra-clad guys (Daniele and Louie) on bikes rode up behind me so I followed their wheels until I got back home. Riding with them meant doing some sprints and keeping a very high pace at times--they didn't speak English so it was a test to see where I fall strength-wise. It also meant a mid-ride stop for a drink--red wine for Daniele, not sure what Louie had and I got orange juice. I've never seen anyone drink wine during a ride and I sure have never seen anyone down it as quickly as Daniele did!

It's rides like this that I have been hoping for the past few months and it was a real motivation to train (for this and grand fondo races). My strength is no where near where I'd like it to be, but I would have died if I had tried to keep up a racer's training schedule on top of moving here. Va bene. All is well, though, I'm strong enough to hang and attempt conversation in Italian (trust me, it's work at this point, pretty exhausting to try to catch what they're saying and think of an appropriate response--frustrating because I want to say so much but so little comes out). We exchanged enough information to know a fair amount about each other. We will ride Saturday. Woohoo!

With that, it's time to start the process of getting ready for the evening. If I were like most people here, I wouldn't even consider going out until 11:00 or later. Just too old...

No comments: