Saturday, April 24, 2010

Non Mi Annoio Mai in Umbria

The blog title (probably) translates to "I'm not bored in Umbria." My Italian is very elementary still so messing it all up is the norm. Here's a useful word: sbaglio. Mistake. :)

To add to the list of things I love about Italy (or at least this region) is that there are constantly fairs, markets, art, etc. going on. So much of these events are totally free and outside. I feel bad for everyone, though, the rainiest weather has been on the weekends. Yesterday and today included. 

One week every year is Settimana della Cultura (Culture Week) where state-run museums, libraries, etc. are open free to all. Yesterday, one of my roommates (majored in art history) and I went to the Museo Archeologico Nazionale dell'Umbria (it's huge). They have an immense collection of urns, gold & ammulets amongst other things. Really great exhibits. Great activity for a brutto giorno (ugly day).

Courtyard of the museum--the building you see is the museum. Monstrous!

Graveyard of ancient urns.


View from the museum window.

The Umbrian Wine Festival is also this weekend...along with another wine tasting somewhere, I understand. How can one not attend such an event? The wine here is amazing (and this is coming from a beer lover). I don't think I've had any beer here (why? It's really expensive and it's hard to find the good microbrews.) The wine in the U.S. always made me feel weird (a heaviness in my legs and tiredness immediately after drinking). Not so with the wine here. It's awesome.

 The Festival Internazionale del Giornalismo is yet another event happening this week, through the weekend. Al Gore is speaking this evening in town, not sure the topic. Staying away from U.S. politics has made me very, very happy. I will pass on tonight's talk.

There's a neat fair called "Pic & Nic" a Trevi in a nearby town (Trevi). Haven't been there, sounds nice...if it isn't raining.

Through next weekend is an amateur and pro kite flying event at yet another nearby town. With so much going on, it's hard to decide what to do and what to skip.

I'd like to understand why the incredible amount of things to do. My guesses are that it's one or a combination these: 1) Italian excuse to socialize, because Italians love to be together. 2) Excuse to eat, because Italians love good food. 3) Homes are small and possibly not where all fun things are happening, so it's important to people to get out of the house. 4) Very rural/farm-centric area. 5) TV isn't all that exciting here (I have no idea what TV is like here since mine doesn't work and I don't understand it. This definitely doesn't appear to be a TV culture, though, from what I've noticed from the homes I've been in.

Enough for now...hope you all have a fabulous weekend!!!

No comments: