"Perugia is, simply put, an awful city for cyclists. No cycle paths, narrow roads, endless hills, cobblestone streets, lanes that end in steps and rain blowing sideways quickly put an end to most two-wheeled ambitions."This statement comes directly from a cool little guide book that I just picked up. I understand where they're coming from--I only start and end rides here. The riding in the central part here is not great, but the location simply cannot be beat. The insane uphill at the end of the ride leaves me quaking in my cleats before starting the ascent. My eyes always burn of sweat in them by the time I get home.
The guide book is free and written by an American and Australian who tell of the great places to eat, shop, etc. Thank goodness a fellow classmate told me about this guide! I'll be a good tour guide to the city in no time. Hint, hint.
It's cool to start getting the locals recommendations on things. First recommendation from one cousin was to go to the chocolate shop and get a jar of their version of Nutella. Yes, it's better than Nutella and the ingredients are much better. While I'm on the subject, I'd been craving almond and peanut butter (staples of my American diet). Yes, I did find peanut butter, but it's expensive and has fully hydrogenated oil. So I won't eat it for any reason. Bananas are expensive, too, I haven't eaten a single one since I've been here. Surprisingly, I haven't missed them (I used to eat one or two daily back home). Add Clif Bars to the list--an addiction back home, I haven't seen or consumed one in over a month.
On that note, a pizzeria is another recommendation. That just might be dinner. Can you tell we just learned all about food in class?
No comments:
Post a Comment