Sunday is market day here and to market we went with a couple of adorable little girls and a few big girls (friends of my cousin).
First, though, we started with the typical Italian breakfast of brioche (sweet pasty) and cafe (shot of espresso) in a lively pastry shop.
Roadies were swarming the streets and it was perfectly warm out (mid-60s probably). Funny, I see the only pic I got of cyclists was one that shows the back of a woman. She was one of the only ones out there.
The market was packed with people buying and selling wearable and edible goods. There are good deals to be had, for example: 5 euro for 3 small containers of bright red, fresh strawberries. The big (exciting) purchase for me was a garlic press, something I've really been missing/needing.
This is a ham sandwich that was really good. Yes, I ate a ham sandwich and enjoyed it (I think I've been craving protein as it's been harder to eat with all of the traveling). My vegetarianism is a thing of the past, at least for these six months of Italian living.
This jacket would be marked XL or XXL if it were sold in the states. 5 Xs in Italy, though.
Dinner tonight was at a local restaurant that, believe it or not, has a menu with more items on it than the Cheesecake Factory. This dish is the kind that I've tried ordering in the US for years and every time I've been disappointed. Finally, it was done right: thick homemade noodles, good red sauce (including veggies) and smoked mozzarella cheese melted all throughout it. Thank goodness I got out late this afternoon for an hour run (first one in weeks, was getting antsy with such great weather and no bike).
It was fun for me to be at dinner where there were kids since it's so unusual for me to ever be around young ones. (I give the moms so much credit, they do such a great job with the kids. Really don't think I'm capable of doing what they do.)
Signing off, will probably not be online again for a full day or so. More adventures, starting first thing tomorrow morning. Happy (if it's appropriate to say that) Palm Sunday! (Btw, Italians get not palms but things that look like a full branch/small tree.)
No comments:
Post a Comment