Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Snow in Mallorca?
Good news and bad news. Bad news first: I brought Colorado weather to Mallorca. It's cold and it was snowing for much of the morning, raining for much of the rest of the day. Good news: I made it here and so did the bike and right now, that's all that really concerns me.
This is the first Spanish meal (tappas) at the airport, while I was waiting for my bike to fly in.
Bill, Gretchen (friends from CO) and I are hanging out in a coffee shop drinking coffee, eating croissants and checking emails at the moment. Mallorca looks like a beautiful place and the terrain is pretty cool looking. It took awhile today to see the terrain considering the low clouds and precipitation (the largest snowflakes I've ever seen). The snow was even accumulating on the road earlier this morning.
The flight from Denver to Heathrow was easy & I got to watch "The Blind Side" on the plane. I only slept an hour and a half thanks to not being able to wind down from a pretty hectic packing/leaving process. Fortunately, a friendly guy (don't worry, he was not that kind of friendly) at the airport helped me with my bike bag and other luggage so it wasn't too difficult to get from the airport to the train and from there, a taxi got me the rest of the way to the ferry terminal. I learned that asking for the ferry terminal just confused everyone. "Barco" is the proper term.
There were very few people on the ferry, it left at 11pm and arrived late a little after 8am. I slept so well, for sleeping in chairs with armrests that don't pull up. Today I'm slightly tired, but it's a good day for bad weather. The bike is all together and ready to roll. Pretty sure I'm on spanish time already.
It's interesting how everyone talks about how foreigners are multilingual (with skill in English) and Americans only speak English and no other languages. Agreed, that Americans should know more than one language, but I'd like to know why I have met so few people (doing jobs that are travel-related) who speak or understand very basic words (like "luggage" and "bags"--when I'm pointing at my luggage)? They don't even seem to understand the word "no" as in "no, I don't want to leave the boat without my other bags."
Everything is very hushed, in general. The airport, train station, train, Mallorca, all of it has been eerily quiet. Are Spainards simply quieter or is this because it's so much colder than normal and everyone is in hibernation mode?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yea! Glad to see & hear that you and your bike made it safely.
Jay
Post a Comment