Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Lights, Camera...

Today was the first day of blue skies and the sun radiating down in Italy. It was a glorious day and a bit on the hot side (this summer could be painfully hot if today is any indication).

It was important to accomplish a lot today and make progress towards finding a more permanent home. I started by taking the bus into the City Center so I could run my errands on foot. First, I (finally) found the school (after hiking up/down all sorts of brutally steep streets) and discovered that their housing office is no longer around, but the services do exist online (this may end up for the best).
On my way out, I was pulled aside by some news organization doing man-on-the-street interviews. I explained that I don't speak Italian...they said English is fine. The question: "Have you heard of the British girl who was murdered..." Me: "Yes." [I probably rolled my eyes, too.] Them: "What do you think?" Me: "I have great respect for the Italian justice system." They have no idea of all of the thoughts that poured through my mind before I answered the question.

Next stop was the cell phone store (Vodaphone was recommended to me). Gotta love not having to sign a contract or even show a credit card. Italy (and it sounds like most of Europe) is cash-based. After being here for 2 weeks and making many transactions, I have used my credit card only once. In the states, it gets used daily and I almost never touch cash.
Now I have an Italian phone number and yet one more electronic thing (but it fits perfectly in jersey pockets).Yes, this is legally mine.


There are a few establishments around with English names (and a few that are, simply, American businesses like Footlocker)...this one is funny considering their translation.
After the visit to town (I was told the bike shop was too far to walk to), I returned home, researched directions and got on the bike. The next goal to accomplish was to figure out how to ride to the town center and get to the bike shop. Goodness, my legs were toast between yesterday's hills and this morning's walking.

The first shot at getting to town was almost completely unsuccessful. The roads I kept having to take were too busy and riding on the sidewalk wasn't much of an option (in places the sidewalk is a full foot above the street and in disrepair). I did find the chocolate factory, I will return, they HAVE to give tours. Also, the near-equivalent of a chocolate factory (to me) is their version of Home Depot...the bike and I spent awhile wandering the aisles as I like to do in Home Depot.

I returned home to jump back on the computer. With a new set of directions from Google maps (34 instructions to be exact), I set off yet again. The road signs are pretty good around here (like that picture that I posted of the Orvieto/Todi sign yesterday), but streets are not well marked at all. Trying to follow Google maps listing street names is nearly impossible. This time, I went by feel based on a couple of street-level pictures Google showed for the first couple of turns...then I just followed the big arrows...and they led me right up into town! SUCCESS! (I was sure that I was going to be wrong yet again.) So it's clear how to get to town via back roads.

And to celebrate this accomplishment, I had my first cono piccolo (small gelato cone) and there was no camera so I'm sorry to not have a pic to share. Flavors were kiss (how cheesy--they should name it bacio like the other gelaterias do) and nocciola. Kiss has hazlenut and chocolate combined, nocciola is just hazelnut. Darn good!!! I savored that, as I've been very anxiously awaiting it. And, bro, for reference--that Glacier gelato is quite similar in consistency.

The gelato made me forget about the quest for the bike shop...but the bike is running okay. It could use lube for the chain, the bottom bracket is squeaking a little and the tubes (they're the super thick ones since I had too many flats this winter and am paranoid) have another day or two of pressure left.

It is time to do some more focused studying of Italian. I have an entrance exam to look forward to and I am really excited to be learning this beautiful language.

No comments: