Click here to see Pictures of Perugia that I took today. It's always nerve wracking, the first time I move somewhere (this is the third time I've moved basically sight unseen), to take a look at the place...is it everything I've hoped for? Will it feel right? Can I make this place home? Fortunately, Perugia feels very good to me. I like it like I liked the hilltowns that I experienced on the bike ride across Italy last summer AND it has a lot of people, a lot of energy. This is a winning combination for someone who ticks the way I do.
While I was waiting to take the bus (great bus system and mini metro, see the pictures of the cute mini metro), I also saw a few road cyclists go past. I know there's tons of riding around here, but it was a positive sign to see people out (welcome change from the extreme lack of cyclists in Barcelona). My bike is ready to go, but I do need to find a bike shop, get some directions for routes, etc. and I need air. My lame little pump isn't enough. Today was Sunday so everything was closed. I understand that businesses are also closed until after lunch on Mondays. Right: if you don't like Monday mornings at work, just cancel them. Italians have the right idea.
I *finally* got to the market earlier today and picked up salad stuff, mozzarella, basil (it's so inexpensive here, woohoo), bread and a few random items. Thank goodness, I've really been missing salad. It's interesting to try to buy food by the kilo. How much does a kilo feel like? I'm only learning what a pound is. In fact, they were selling the bread by the kilo. And I had to ask for the salted or unsalted variety. I chose unsalted (as that's traditional due to a tax on salt in this region once upon a time).
Tonight was family-style dinner where I'm staying. There were 7 of us and all American. Really enjoy being with this group and few things make me happier than eating with a group of people. Our hostess made carrot cake as a birthday cake for the two people in the group celebrating birthdays and it was sooooo tasty. I hope to live with Italians or Italian-speaking people so I am relishing the moments I do have with Americans.
And speaking of birthdays:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOM!!!!!!!!! You're the best! Sorry I can't be there to celebrate with you, but I'm thinking about you and wish you another awesome year. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment