Today is the first day of spring, I'm convinced. The birds were chirping, the children were laughing in the streets, shutters were wide open and the air smells and feels of spring, too. There was a slight chill in the air, but it was pretty comfortable. I walked around all day wearing my fleece pull-over since I refuse to be chilly for one moment. And there was no bike ride today, I was concerned about doing damage to my sad knee and it was nice to do something different, anyhow.
It worked out that I started the day on a nice stroll throughout town. I really needed to go to the market to get some basics (bath soap, dish soap, plate for food, etc). Last night when I went out in search of such items, I found the town was completely shut down. On a Saturday night? Hmmm. I asked the proprietor of this hostel about it this morning. He said it's tradition here for everything to close Saturdays (because it's a tourist town). At least there's an explanation.
On the walk around, I found some very nice areas I hadn't seen before. Stopped for a mini breakfast (I'd already had leftover breakfast cereal earlier). Note in the pic, it's a mini-computer, too, so it's all smaller than usual. I worked on family tree stuff over breakfast. I've compiled a little info from my Italian side, it will be nice to show my relatives in Italy and be able to fill in the blank spaces. It's a little weird to see me on this tree--this is where I fit and how I got here, from all of these people I don't know, lived long ago and happened to be married, happened to have a child who happened to have a child who happened to have me. And this is only 1/2 of my full tree (I have to get my Mom's side someday). If you're ever having a bad day, be thankful to have ever have been born, to have ever had even a single day on this beautiful planet. Really, it's like winning the lottery...but winning much more than any lottery has ever paid out and the chances are so much smaller than winning the lotto. My brain hurts, back to the day.
On the walk, I ran across the Catholic church in town. It's handy to be Catholic, I never seem to have issues finding a church away from home. This one is huge, next to a lovely open area (in Italy it'd be called a piazza. Not sure if this has a name or not). It was stone and frigid inside. I was very happy to be wearing fleece as every person in attendance was wearing a winter coat and no one considered taking off the coat for mass (in the States, that would be considered rude as it's a sign of wanting to bolt for the door the moment communion is over). Probably a good place to hang out in the summer. Some restaurants in town have on their signs (in large letters) "Air Conditioning." Must be a differentiator amongst establishments. I enjoyed mass. No, I can't understand the meaning of the homily or readings, but, like with the Prima Domenica mass in Denver (given in Italian), every word is clearly pronounced so I can understand some of the mass since I know some vocabulary and I know the English translation of everything they're saying (aside from the readings since those differ week to week). My ear is getting better at picking up the slight sounds important to hearing the distinct words in Italian (and that translates easily to Spanish, though I haven't figured Mallorcean out yet. They get you by saying "hola" and then start speaking what sounds like a very different language from Spanish. I thought mass sounded like it was Spanish.)
After church, I found the soap and random stuff I was looking for, wandered around a bit more and came home to do laundry. Those washboard/bucket setups that our ancestors on the prairie make a lot of sense. The sink worked fine and everything is hanging on a clothes line attempting to dry (nothing is).
I really want to say a heart-felt thanks to everyone who's reading this blog and commenting here/Facebook/sending emails. It is soooooo nice to have this be a way to communicate back with you (only way with there being limited time) and it's great to hear from you. This blog helps give me focus and purpose throughout the day. I take pics that I otherwise wouldn't when I think of one of you enjoying the story or the picture or something. It's really fun to share the trip with you. And I think that's one reason why I'm getting excited to be in Barcelona (and even moreso Italy)--since I'm staying in a social hostel (well, there will be quite a few others in the room where I'll be sleeping so it has to be more social than this place).
Really, I am perfectly okay being alone, I don't mind. But the FABULOUS days of travel (or bike rides, for that matter) NEVER, EVER happen alone.
On that note, here are some shots from today:
Walking along the beach, drinking in the smell of the water, listening to the happy birds, feeling the spring air...
The cop cars are more cartoonish than taxi cabs...
This was simply a pretty picture. I assume the architecture here is heavily influenced by Spanish style and I can't say I know what that is yet, but I'm guessing this is sort of it (cute!)
Thanks for the setup, Dad...it works (no fires yet and everything is recharged)!
Good night little street...
Good night Mallorca!
2 comments:
I particularly liked your scene of the street lights at night pictured after the "Good night Mallorca!" comment. They seem to march off into the infinite darkness.
Not sure if you knew this, but your Apple device can be plugged directly into the wall outlet without a converter. Just make sure the plug (on the device) says 50hz & 240v. You will need a plug adapter still but it's nice not having to use the converter. We used our stuff in Israel & worked like a champ!
We talked to our friend in Israel today & she is trying to get us to come for 6 months. We just need to work on convincing Kim :)
Jay
Post a Comment