...I got to pack the bike away and schlep all of my worldly possessions down to the beach front where I caught the bus to Palma, to make the anxiously awaiting ferry boat. I rarely ever complain about a long commute anywhere so long as someone else is doing the driving. The forced time sitting in one place is always thrilling to me since I can't sit still long enough if I'm not tied down (literally). Seriously, I've been heard proclaiming to love going to the dentist for the same reason. To add up all of the time when someone else was doing the driving today is a little ridiculous. 1 hr in the bus, 25 minutes in two different taxis, 7 1/2 hours on the ferry boat. And I was happy the whole time (so long as I wasn't thinking about the gorgeous riding everyone else was doing in Mallorca...that was a little disturbing).
During this time, I finished piecing the family tree together from all of my random notes. It's a fun puzzle to try to piece together--and draw on a single 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper. Next was reading all about Barcelona (thanks, Rick Steves) and get mentally transitioned for what was to come next: moving everything from the ferry to the hostel. The idea that I'm staying in Barcelona, in a hostel, with my bike and stuff, has really stressed me out--for weeks now. I've come very close to canceling this stay and just floating over to Italy instead. That sounds so much easier. Therese--this one's for you. I'll be doing the touristy thing a bit, but also surveying the place by bike, too.
Now that I'm here, settled in the hostel and about to dig into a paella dish (with very strange-looking sea creatures in it), I'm pretty sure I'm happy to be here. You know how it's cool when fun scenes are combined with music? The taxi who picked me up (after dark, mind you) was playing Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" and the next song, as we got to the happening part of Barcelona was "Footloose." Yeah. I like this city already, I can feel the vibe. Or is it just the music? Whatever, it does have a vibe and I think I like it.
The hostel has a vibe, too. I couldn't believe how my feelings of happiness, the thrill of excitement jumped at merely walking into this place. The girl at the front desk is sweet, but I couldn't quite place the accent. She's from Zimbabwe. I've never met someone from Zimbabwe before! They serve breakfast, have computers, wi-fi, a full kitchen for anyone to use, lots of loudly-colored couches, a foosball table (that a group of french guys around my age were playing when I was chilling down there looking at maps). Aaaaah. Definitely like this place.
When I checked in (each room has bunk beds accommodating lots of people) I asked how many others will be in the room. She replies that there will be a couple of other guys. "Guys...you mean men?" I ask. Yep. Hmmm... Sounds potentially sketchy to me (yes, I have the voices of mothers and grandmothers in my ear at all times) so I ask for a room change. She goes through all of the rigmarole of getting me switched and discovers that this room is also all guys, just more of them. This time, I'm okay with it. More guys is less scary than fewer. And I can keep my bike with me in this room.
When I opened the door to the room, there was a guy brushing his teeth (did I mention the shared bathroom is in this room? Yeah...he seemed a bit surprised...possibly dismayed at having a girl roommate). He seems nice, I have no need to be worried. The lockers are HUGE and everything (door keys, locker, etc) all work via an electronic key. Pretty advanced. AND considering the time difference, I don't have to worry about you (moms, grandmothers) not being able to sleep since you'll be awake during the time I'm sleeping tonight. The full report will be forthcoming tomorrow. :)
Oh my goodness, the waiter just came and refilled my wine glass (to the brim)! Paella is good, though I think the shell fish are just for decoration. There are legs and tentacles everywhere and I can't seem to get into the meat beneath the shell. This must be in a very locals place. The only people here are guys all huddled in a corner doing something that could possibly involve a sporting event. No idea what language they're speaking. It's not Spanish (maybe Catalan?) There's a tv on the wall, but they are more concerned with what's on a laptop. It was weird, when the waiter seated me, he put the key to the wireless internet down in front of me. After awhile I asked for a menu. I'm glad I brought the computer, almost left it at home.
Here's dinner:
That's all to report for today. I have no idea what to do tomorrow. Just looking forward to catching some zzzz's and having breakfast with travelers my age tomorrow morning. Buenos noches!
1 comment:
Hmmmm...a very interesting hostel set up you got there. Hopefully, none snore..haha. The pics are beautiful!
Post a Comment