Saturday, March 27, 2010

Immersed in Italian Culture: Soccer and Pizza

Last night I fell asleep with the computer in my lap after getting home from dinner at half-past midnight. A rooster is cockadoodle-dooing outside (this isn't a farm, either, but Italy seems to be full of roosters).

It's not a long train ride to a place near Venice considering I feel worlds away from my new home now. Perugia was early-summer toasty yesterday. When I stepped off the train here, it was rainy, chilly and foggy--a totally different climate. I'm in this part of the country to visit my cousin (who I saw very briefly last summer in Roma and the time before that was 9 years ago, also very briefly). It makes me happy to finally get some time to have a quality visit with her and her daughter (she's American, from the non-Italian side of my family). It's simply a small world!

My cousin plays soccer (indoor, at least for the winter) with mostly Italians and a few Americans. She's benched with an injury at the moment, but we still went to watch (wish I could see her play!). There is some serious ball-handling skill out there, it was great fun.

One of her Italian guy friends was very excited to drive her Dodge--a BIG car compared with Italian Fiats. Watch Cristiano Drive (sorry, this link might not work).

He was thrilled with the power. It made his night.


After the game we went out to pizza at a local joint. The pizza was very yummy and I had beer (most of them drink beer after soccer).

The mix of languages (the Italians don't know much English and vice versa) seemed to work out just fine. Soccer and pizza are things all people can enjoy together whether or not they speak the same language.

Question: What do you get when you cross Cristiano...
With this girl...
?
ANSWER:
 Turns out, THIS is what made his night, it eclipsed his thrill of driving the Dodge.

Time to get out of bed and get this day going, the sun is pouring through the fog/clouds (not sure which right now), but it looks to be a lovely day (and it feels like a weekend to me since the pressure of getting things of practical nature done haven't followed me here). Yea!

No comments: