February in the bike business can be a sleepy month. Things have hardly slowed down at the Studio, though, as it's been hopping nearly constantly with the exception of today which was, truly, a day almost no one would dare ride (icy gusts and snow falling most of it). Yesterday was the kind of day that keeps normal people off of bikes, but we had a 30+ person ride go off for 50 miles and it started while it was snowing and cold. Everyone came back smiling (and in party-mode). It was for a special occasion as it was a landmark birthday for one of our endurance team riders who has a lot of friends who are into really hard riding.
When I couldn't stand or talk anymore from tiredness (hadn't fully recovered from my night ride the previous evening), I sat down and did some website work. I never miss not having a desk job, but I do sometimes miss having a desk or a few forced hours there each week. I think 1-2 days a week at a desk is perfect. The rest of the time standing up is my preference; I'd take 100% standing over 100% sitting.
I'm happy to report that this past week was totally sane and resembled a normal work week. It's made me a bit anxious: what am I forgetting to do? Usually I can't get close to getting all of my work done in 70+ hours a week so taking the day off today and going home at a normal time yesterday felt really weird. (To be clear, I'm not caught up with things, just nothing is so urgent that it can't wait a few more hours.)
This week I'm bunny-sitting. Usually it's cats and plants, this is new. There are birds, too, but they only need their water changed so basically need no attention at all. Bunny just has to hop around. I keep meaning to become a more professional house/animal sitter since it's so easy with my lifestyle. I also keep meaning to get into the maker community (it's the best thing about Boston that I'm not taking advantage of) and do some video editing. My short list of to-dos is long and every little thing takes way too much time. All this and I really need to focus on simply riding the bike to keep things balanced and stay healthy.

No comments:
Post a Comment