Sunday, February 03, 2013

A cappuccino and a mocha

This morning I woke up really wanting to post something in my blog. I got particularly motivated when it was brought to my attention that today is Superbowl Sunday.

Two years ago on Superbowl Sunday I walked into the Ride Studio Cafe for the first time and had a tasty cappuccino. That day bridged my return to the US from Italy and welcomed me back. I found my home and place in the world where I belong that day.
Photo & drink by Steven Lim

Naturally, I'm blogging from the RSC, it's a quiet day and I don't "need" to work. So I'm here as a customer and I just finished a cappuccino.

I'm sorry I'm not capturing what's happening here on a day-to-day basis. Every single day there are noteworthy conversations that I've had and something that needs to be written down. So much of what I do doesn't have anything at all to do with a bike.

I will tell the story of Noni and Wally, two wonderful customers of ours who we used to see every day here. We got to know them, their family and friends. They shared many interesting conversations over their large cups of coffee and the pastry that they shared. Neither Wally nor Noni were cyclists and they didn't seem to take particular interest in the bikes. They were interested in many things, just not bikes.

Noni came in a few days ago for her last cup of coffee here. She looked drawn and the color was gone from her face. She looked much different than she had since the last time I'd seen her only a few short weeks prior to coming here last. I believe she was still in shock: Wally, her husband of countless years had just passed away. She sat down at the counter as she had done with Wally so many, many times. She ordered a mocha and a chocolate croissant. I don't remember her ever ordering a mocha before. She used to tell us that she couldn't tell what the coffee tasted like. Wally really enjoyed Americanos with steamed milk. They always ordered two of those. She liked it that he liked it.

Noni lingered over her mocha and croissant. Ariela helped her out and came over to make sure I knew why Noni was here. I had a brief conversation with Noni. She told me that Wally had gotten sick and hadn't recovered. She told me of how much Wally loved coming in here. She told me how much he enjoyed bringing others in and showing them the bikes. Not being a bike guy, I wonder if he showed off the bikes and this space as a sense of pride in being a part of them. The bikes do become one's companion during a visit here. There is a friendliness that the bikes have. Maybe it's because they are each unique and likable. And so many people have pleasant memories that involve a bike in some way. Small children who are too young to ride are equally drawn to the bikes which I enjoy and marvel at.

Wally looked forward to RSC coffee every single day. Every day prior to getting sick for the previous year or more was highlighted by a trip here. Noni came here with her husband and good friend. I doubt we'll see her again, but I know why. They both will remain part of who we are and other stories will unfold here. I thank them for sharing their love story with us and making us part of it.

No comments: