Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Home is where...?

A recent major stressor is that I'm likely going to have to change my place of sleeping yet again. If there's one thing that's disconcerting to me, it's not having firm footing living-wise. This was something that was somewhat uncomfortable to me when I was living in Italy, but at least then, I still had a home to return to in the US. I've been a home owner pretty much all of my adult life and it feels good to own my own place and be able to decorate as I please and simply not having someone else ruling my space.

Now, I have been here for over 2 years and have no semblance of stability aside from work which, thank goodness, does provide some level of that "home" feeling. I like where I am living now: I have two rooms and quite a bit of quiet space and privacy along with hardwood floors. This particular home will be sold soon and I'll be homeless. It really freaks me out not knowing where and when I'll have to move next. For the past 2 years, I have longed daily for a living arrangement that can't be yanked out from underneath me at any moment in time. I also long for walls that I can paint and decorate as my own.

Lately I've been researching tiny homes. This is a concept I'd read about in a book about tiny homes  years ago so it's not new but it's little known still. Aside from the obvious financial benefits, I'd take a 300 sq ft place of my own over a gargantuan home any day. I prefer it. Small and mine. Simple. The picture above is of a home that's 350 square feet.

An opportunity has presented itself for some such arrangement. I'm really excited about the possibility (it may not work out, but I am really hoping that it does) and it's got me thinking about what I should do even if it doesn't happen. I am yearning so much to settle down and get on with my life as an adult, as I used to love living before I uprooted myself and moved to Italy.

No comments: