Sunday, November 30, 2008

4 Days Off


Wow, four days off without any travel in there anywhere? What am I doing? Sleeping in, for one. I like sleep, but haven't had much of it prior to this weekend. So the alarm is not being set and I'm making up for lost time. Of course, it's nearing 2 am and here I am blogging. I was tossing and turning, someone must have slipped some caffeine in my evening tea. 

Every evening before going to sleep, I like to read. This weekend, however, I've had hours to read before shutting off the light. And so, tonight, I said goodbye to a new friend, the book I've been reading since the San Francisco trip. This happens to me every single time I read a book, when I finish the last page, I begin to miss the characters (and often the writer if it's a memoir like this one); I think that hinders me somewhat from starting new books. When I begin a new book, I know I have to be emotionally available for a relationship with it. 

This book spoke to me in many ways. I didn't always agree with the author or completely understand her, but so many of the themes are ones that have been part of my life. And it gave me a chance to think about how I feel about things when she is faced with challenges in her journey. 

I don't know if this book has much to do with my current thinking or not, but everything plays a role, doesn't it? In so many conversations (even many mundane ones), there are some takeaways that I feel thankful for...as thoughts that can be built upon each other to gain further understanding, insight...or simply finding out about some activity that, when I attend, I meet someone else who has something else to add to this ever-growing thought-pool. 

I believe now more than ever in the importance of everyone in my life and I see how their presence continually serves in helping me go in a particular direction. As I hope I am a similar player in the lives of my friends, family, and people I bump into on the street. 

I know exactly where I want to be (not physically, metaphorically) and what I want--these thoughts are never far from my mind. However, I have developed a much more laid-back approach in attaining those people, things and goals. I firmly believe that if I keep my focus and make choices to support my values, that all things fall into place naturally. Patience, patience.

No comments: