Tuesday, August 19, 2008

M.O.

There's almost never a dull moment in my life. I try to keep it that way. For someone who steers clear of roller coasters, I still manage to do all sorts of things that scare me to pieces. Here are two examples.

Tonight it was time to start getting comfy with the cross bike since I would like to race it this fall and winter. No guarantees on that. I did MANY laps on the grass at Wash Park (perfectly gorgeous out there, btw) before I could fester up the courage to dismount via throwing my right leg over the bike and land gracefully on the left. I'm such a chicken. There will be lots of group cross training sessions so hopefully those help. It'll be fun to point and laugh if I try to race (you're welcome to do so, btw).

As a side note, betcha had no idea how many goose turds there are in the grass!

The news I alluded to in the last post is that I'm changing jobs (again). I've been at this one for a little over 4 months and it's felt like longer than that (in a good way). I like the people very much, I enjoy the work and I haven't had any complaints since I started in April.

However, an opportunity I couldn't refuse recently (as in the day after my 31st birthday) came along in the form of a lunchtime call that I returned while standing outside of Whole Foods. The position is VP of Technology in a small tech company in Broomfield. I'll be in the position to help the company grow, be part of the decision making, still be able to stay close enough to the technical side of the business and take on management responsibilities. If you know me, you might imagine how thrilled I am at the possibilities.

I love small business and especially being able to test out theories and ideas from the many business books I've read over the past 10 years. I have dreamed about being in this kind of position for so long. The owners of the company and its employees have a great deal of my respect as I have gotten to know them through a variety of interactions. I would not have made the move if I weren't 100% comfortable about the people. I'd imagine, as is typically true in start-ups, that there will be some crazy hours and trusting in each other will be a major component of the company's success.

Here we go, time for another wild ride!

No comments: