Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Wheels of Thunder

Saturday was the Wheels of Thunder circuit/crit race. During the time that I was in the race, it was fast, tactical, pretty exciting. It helped that there were at least 5 racers who are regulars on the NRC circuit and a few others with that strength, but who stay local. My race consisted of 4 laps, the last being a suicide ride in hopes of a $50 prime. Being out in the wind for half a mile really took its toll. I had totally underestimated the distance to the line and how much energy the wind would sap from my formerly fresh legs. The rest of the race was a painful time trial, trying to at least keep the pack in view just in case the pace slowed for a few moments which could allow me to rejoin them. No luck, just really good training. Oh yeah, and my cassette was loose. I was wondering why shifting was harder than usual, but I don't think that had anything to do with the final outcome.

Sunday was a fantastic ride up Super James, Ward and back down St. Vrain. St. Vrain is on the top of my list of fun, fast descents and it's incredibly beautiful (if you have a chance to look up). With all the rain we've had, it's green, really lush in places that are probably brown all year. The climbing was important since the next two weekends will be spent going vertical.

Stay tuned...I'm still planning on updating more soon (as the last post suggested).

No comments: