Saturday, May 03, 2008

End of Vacation, Start of New Job

I'm not going to try to re-hash the end of the trip. It was a wonderful time to connect with family and friends and to truly have quality time with everyone, including myself. It was two weeks that could not have been spent in a better way.

I just finished up week #3 at the new job. So far, I like the people very much and am beginning to be of value to the team. Changing jobs always comes with challenges, particularly those surrounding figuring out the people. It helps tremendously when the people all mean well and are very capable, friendly and genuine in nature. Still, though, there is a level of stress surrounding not knowing everything.

Today I volunteered to work a race that my team put on. It was hard to be there--watching people warm up on a frigid morning and then going out and working so hard. I was well dressed and couldn't fathom why anyone would be there. I think all of my energy is going into work and there isn't a lot left over to spend on racing right now, but I do hope to get back to it when the time is right. It was my whole world for the past three years and now I feel like an alien to it. It's not good or bad, just what it is and I still have yet to determine what the best thing is. It is so nice to have more time for other things that had been badly neglected for quite some time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

racing really isn't all it's made out to be. in lots of ways i envy your life. i've done nothing this afternoon. i drove up to the mall to think that i would have energy to shop, and instead i went home, showered, and have been staring emptily at the tv for the last few hours. hooray for balance in your life! it was good seein ya!

Anonymous said...

I think racing bikes is what you make of it. It's just like anything else in life; if you focus so hard on one thing day after day, and have no balance in your life, you will burn out and it won't be fun anymore. Same goes for your career. I've learned over the years that I'd rather have balance in my life and that attaining some grand career is not what's going to make me happy. I've a good job that I enjoy (software developer), pays pretty well, but doesn't consume my life. Perfect for me. It allows me to train and race (stay super fit), yet I no longer let racing consume my life. I do fewer races than I used to (one race per weekend instead of two). I'm able to focus my energy towards races that I really want to do well at, instead of trying to race everything that's available. I rest more, sleep more, eat better, and stay mentally and socially available for work, friends, family, life. It's a balancing act, but I'm getting better at it and just trying to not take racing so seriously that I start to see and hate the ugly side of the race scene (just like there is that side to every competitive sport). I've been there.

Good luck with whatever you decide about racing. I've seen you out there and I've seen your potential. If you get back out there, just focus on training quality (not necessarily quantity), rest, diet, maybe just focus your training for some races that you find fun. After all, for most of us that aren't going to go on to be pro bike racers or olympic champions, racing bikes is all about the fun of competition and staying fit.

Unknown said...

I agree in the balancing act. If there is one thing I have learned over the past 2 weeks, it is that I work for my family and nobody else. I go to work each day to receive a paycheck to take care of my family. If I didn't work for my family, I am pretty sure I would have taken that job offer on the other side of the country.

You need to find what makes you happy and get more of that.

Allez said...

3 comments...thanks, guys, this is some kind of record in my little blog world. :)