To whoever left that last comment on this blog, my sincerest thanks goes to you. I really appreciate your words of wisdom. I believe in a balance, but I think the balance I was trying to attain wasn't the same as the one you describe so eloquently. In a way, racing has felt like a either you do it or you don't kind of thing. I have always raced for the love of it, but in the cat1/2 field, I didn't think it could be enjoyed without training 20 hrs/week during the off-season.
The other major reason why I like to race is that training is so social, I just love to ride with others and experience the world from the front seat...on a bike. So, taking a step back from this, I realize that I can have a lot of this fun simply riding with others: Going at whatever pace; racing up a hill in the middle of winter when others are wanting to do the same; riding slowly with a group of friends and appreciating the scenery; running during the spring and summer; staying out late to enjoy some kind of cultural activity...
Of course, there is a great deal of fun and thrill that comes from actually racing: the adrenaline rush; the once-in-awhile victory (shoot, even coming 2nd to a prime is like winning in my book); camaraderie; partaking in an event--not being on the sidelines, but being part of something that causes people to cheer; and, of course, the stories that can be told years later of this scar, that road trip...those many road trips, all of which would never have happened if it hadn't been for the silly, but very valid, excuse to attend a race.
Yes, what you said in your comment is correct. Balance is the key. It's nice to have some of both, along with time for friends, family and other important endeavors.
Thanks for giving me this to think about. I might be back sooner than I was planning on. And if you see me off the back, trust me, I'm having fun, as always.
No comments:
Post a Comment