Thursday, September 06, 2007

Not meant to cross-train

Ouch. It's cross training time of the year again. This year, like all previous years, I am attempting to get good at something besides riding a bike to keep the off-season a bit more interesting.

Saturday I tried to mountain bike. One of my friends emailed (after I mentioned that I intended to mtn bike last weekend)...he questioned my ability to shift a mountain bike. Right, that took some practice. At first, every little itty bitty pebble was freaking me out. By the end, I was so exhausted from breaking, my hands hurt. However, it was a blast. Now I see why there are so many pro mtn bikers in the Durango area. I'm happy to report no endo's on my first mtn ride in a year (and probably the 5th one in my life).

Monday it was running. A little, slow, 1 hour run. I'm *still* sore. Luckily, the blisters have healed. How anyone runs a marathon is beyond me. An IronMan is inconceivable. I'm in total awe of runners. And I know I'll never be one.

Then last night was yoga. Power yoga. My neck muscles were sore today...along with every muscle that wasn't sore previously from the run. I've never felt so uncoordinated or unathletic as I did last night. Half of the class was doing head-stands. Right. I'd attempt it, but then I'd kill the person next to me. No way. My abs were burning today. I hope to have the motivation to go back.

Hmmm...other city cross-training activities? I'll skip the pool...tried that last year and it lasted 20 minutes. Gotta get creative fast...the winter is fast approaching...

No comments: