Activities such as WaterWorld (super fun, so much better than the last time I was there...9 years ago) were able to happen since I wasn't freaking out about training (like I'm notorious for the rest of the year). And that was a day after the company picnic at the Boulder res and ... (Carol, this is for you) I finally got my hair cut. There are certain things that I simply cannot find the time for when I'm racing and that's something that kept slipping...for a year. Fortunately, my beautician is awesome and an athelete and engaged to a road racer. You can imagine our conversations versus standard salon chit-chat.
Eric and I road tripped to Durango this weekend. We stayed with his friends, road bikes, ran, ate well and relaxed...it was an awesome way to say "bu-bye" to the summer.
Finally, I don't have to apologize for not taking pics or downloading them. Here is a whole lotta pics to make up for the past month of not blogging:
When I'm not training, I have time to cook. Here's a red snapper from Whole Foods that was scrumptious. I've never cooked a whole fish before. Okay, I've hardly ever cooked fish before.

And, after doing a bazillion hours of reading on nutrition and cycing, etc, etc...it finally dawned on me that I haven't been eating enough protein. So I'm scrapping the vegetarian diet and eating meat. But, only happy, free-range, organic meat and I have found that fish is so, so much tastier and easier to prepare than red meat. I've made other changes, too, though...I'm harder to feed than ever so don't get all excited about my meat-consumption.

A few weeks ago, in lieu of racing a crit in Copper Mountain, Eric and I pedaled from Copper Mountain up Vail Pass, to another town, then to Leadville and back to Copper. The "destination" of the ride ended up being the Molybdenum Company at 11,500ish feet...after this mine, it was a screaming (but still hard, after 5 1/2 hrs) descent back to Copper.
Will you look at this? This is the bike rack at work. They were looking pretty sweet there, practically next to my desk, last week. So they got their picture taken. Lots of people riding these days. Not bad for a company owned and run by a bunch of really competitive runners.
Ahh, finally to the Durango pictures. I would have loved to have stopped and taken more pictures on Saturday's ride after we pulled into town, but it was waaaaay too intense to slow down to take pictures. Yeah, it's time for base miles, but after 2 weeks off, I was feeling good and kept pushing it. (Didn't expect that...thought all my fitness would be gone and my legs wouldn't have a clue as to what to do).
Sunday's ride was a repeat of Iron Horse...from Durango to Silverton...but the lightning stopped us from reaching Silverton. We hung out in this nice little ditch until our friends arrived. Then we went out to eat at a pizza joint while Durango was dumped on...we were kind of bummed to not be prepared to go tubing down the streets.
The riders: Rob, Me, Eric & Pete. Rob raced for Eric's team back in NY as a junior (now in school in Durango) and Pete and Eric have been friends since they were 4 or 5. How many people are still friends with anyone they knew at that age and aren't somehow related?
Sag wagon piloted by: Rebecca (Pete's wife), right, and her friend, Alyssa. They were really good sports to be seen in public with those of us who were getting way too much chamois time.
That's all folks. It seemed to make more sense to come home, check the results from all of the weekend's exciting racing (Green Mountain Stage Race, St. Louis), read email and blogs than unpack...I have no idea where my phone might be and it can just stay there for a little while longer.
It's so nice to get out of touch for a long weekend, to refresh, get some perspective and away from traffic...and then come back to everything with renewed energy. Training is in full swing for '08, I'm ready for another off-season and, unbelievably, the trainer time that is, sadly, inevitable.
Oh yeah, one more thing:
We could see the exact spot where this rainbow was touching the ground. No pot of gold anywhere to be found! But I'm not going to let that little setback keep me from chasing rainbows.
1 comment:
if you didn't find the pot of gold you didn't look hard enough !!
Skunk
Post a Comment