Monday, September 15, 2008

First Race of the Season...FINALLY

I did it...after years of talking about trying cyclocross, I actually went out there and participated in a race. Yeah, I kind of raced it, too. If there hadn't been barriers (that I so gracefully fell before a couple of times), I would have not looked like a total newbie. That was also the very first real interval of the season for me. Ouch, a 45-minute long interval. Barf. No, but almost barf. I added to the collection of bruises on my right leg (must be from hitting the bike against my body when picking it up).

For the record, I'm pretty close to the most non-technical person EVER on a bike. I learned so much about trusting my bike, not being scared and just going for it without over thinking everything that looked scary (which was much of the course). After further review and actually surviving the race, I've come to the conclusion that cross racing IS fun. Yup, and if a total chicken such as myself can say this, it must be true.

The crowd was chill and Colorado Springs put its best foot forward. It was a beautiful (almost too warm) day, absolutely the best way to usher in the cross season (and yes, there was mud in the course).

No comments: