Tuesday, April 01, 2008

My, Where Has the Time Gone?


It's time to blog...and explain a few things. Thanks to Bill for the kick-in-the-pants. Interesting, because I think I would have blogged today w/o the encouragement to do so.

I'm on vacation. This is a real vacation. Some sociology building on the Princeton campus is keeping me comfortable and providing free wireless internet at the moment.

I don't consider myself a workaholic, but I do know that I can't stop doing things. With my 2008 racing season in doubt (thanks to having to pull all-nighters the week before training camp), it occurred to me that if I spent as much time and energy doing something else besides training, I might actually get somewhere in life. I say this with the utmost respect and appreciation for cycling, but the women's race scene leaves too much to be desired. This fall, I was out on a ride with top women cyclists and Alison (one of the fastest women in the world) mentioned what she's being compensated. It struck a cord with me. Yeah, I know that we all race for the love of it, but I race for the love of competition and because I like to travel. A good paycheck could ensure the traveling bit and I hope to return to the local race scene in 2009.

Towards the end of February, I started a company, March saw the company doing a fair amount of business (read: I was working my tail off) and, completely unassociated, but well-timed, I ended up with a job offer that I couldn't refuse. The month of March was a very significant time in my life. I also had to bid farewell to the company I've been working for and have loved. It's hard to leave a small company because it was like leaving a family. It's too bad that it has to be like that.

Here I am, in-between jobs and spending the time back East. I like the idea of working from anywhere and am testing out that concept. So far, I haven't done too much. Yesterday (Monday) my body was completely freaking out from all of the stress I'd been under since December. I expected something like this to happen. My body told me I'd better relax for the first time in forever or I'd be sorry. So, I stayed in (I'm staying with my uncle and he has a very comfy couch) and it was rainy/foggy all day so it was a good day to be in. My diet consisted of these magic wellness pills (vitamins) and a few raw food bars. Looks like that cold was averted as I have a lot more energy today.

Sunday my uncle and I rode bikes from Liberty Park (across from the Statue of Liberty) to the George Washington bridge, tooled around the neighborhood north of Harlem for a bit and rode back. Pictures are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/patrialanfranchi/NJRiding?authkey=2_CPy4_UaG0

It was a perfectly beautiful day and as warm as one could expect. Funny, today it's raining a bit (more of a drizzle now), but it's at least 65 degress...basically it feels like a rain forest with all of the humidity. And that fits for how my day started--I spent a lot of time at the gym in the steam bath. Ah, refreshing and a good way to start after such a rough day yesterday.

There will be more posts & I'm going to work on keeping them shorter. Like the Twitter concept. I still want to host my blog from my own server, but seeing as though there was too much other stuff going on to worry about, it's blogspot for the foreseeable future. (Urgh.)

Today the goal will be to make my business website. Will post its address if it gets launched.


No comments: