Sunday, April 06, 2008

Death by Blogging

An article in the New York Times this morning discussed bloggers who died, and it appears to be attributable to their blogging lifestyles: not being able to sleep much, constant stress and working out of their home offices (which I translate to meaning eating constant junk food without working out or having much other human contact).

It's well known how important a full night's sleep is, along with some way to mitigate stress. These guys don't have it in balance and it's "not sustainable." (This is how they described it.)

How, though, can one be successful if one:
  • Works out properly (we'll say 2 hours - getting to gym/getting ready, working out & cleaning up)
  • Sleeps ~8 hours
  • Takes 3 hours for preparing and eating healthful meals
  • Spends at least 2 hours on life-tasks (that is, brushing teeth, basic chores, taking a shower to get ready for the day)
That's 15 hours of necessary "other" activities to be healthy, leaving 9 to forge forward and do those things that are important to be successful.

When I find the secret, I'll let you know. The one thing I do know is that when blogging for pleasure, time appears to vanish before my eyes and my home is not any cleaner, I haven't eaten a good meal and my workout is still waiting for me to begin it.

No comments: