Thursday, February 04, 2010

January 2010, Month in Review

January pretty much rocked. It was a great month. I made lots of homemade pasta and sauce, spent more than my usual time in the kitchen (though still much less time than the average person), deep cleaned (cleaning, not totally done yet), spent time making the Gelato Diet movie (which was the most fun thing I've done in years...well, since I built the kitchen island. Watch it if you haven't already: www.gelatodiet.com/movie. Putting together the website was also great fun and something I've wanted to do for ages. 


 


I didn't get the time I was hoping for to study Italian or make more connections with my (Italian) relatives. However, the family did find this...the passport for my Great Grandfather--bringing him to the US for the first time from Messina (Sicily)! Cool! 

Training has been going well. After posting messages on forums and learning more about Italian amateur racing, I'm completely frightened about going there out of shape. So I figure some good sessions lifting and decent climbing rides at altitude will help me be in a good place when I get to Spain (where my plane lands, then I'll make my way to Italy). 

 
I participated in a rally at the state capitol for the first time in my life...and I'm really glad I did. It was a pro-life rally. Nothing like seeing cute children running around and smiling who were going to be aborted, but their mothers were talked out of it at the last minute. Sends shivers to think of all of the other beautiful kids who never get the chance to see the light of day. Prior to the rally, there was a mass at the Cathedral.
 
Finally, I got to see Eduardo Verastegui up close at the mass. He is a beautiful person, not because he is one of the most physically beautiful people in existence, but because of his stand on pro-life and morality. He doesn't believe in sex before marriage (he used to, but then he started living his Catholic faith and completely changed his life). Guys, take note. You're competing with this guy when you date me (and not because of his outward appearance). Yes, I realize I could be single forever, and I'm okay with that. I want to find someone with similar values and I do think it's possible.
The coolest activity of the month was going on a hut trip with 21 people I didn't know prior to the trip. As with a group of fun-loving outdoosy types, it was a pretty good gamble that it would be a fine time. I've never been on a hut trip so this was all-new to me. The weather was perfect (sun/blue skies and no wind!)
 
Gordie was one of my snow shoe buddies. He's over 70 and you'd never know it by the speed at which he flies up mountains. He has a great story of discovering the outdoors at 60. Basically, he feels like he has a whole new life since he got outside. There's a lot that he told me that resonated in me. I love hanging out with these kinds of enlightened people! There were a few other conversations I had over the weekend that also made me think. With the Italy trip coming up so soon, I have been thinking more than ever.

 
Me getting sort  of stuck in this position for the picture. This was the high point of the adventure. After this, we went back to the cabin and feasted on a great dinner prepared for us by John, an ultra marathoner (he runs 100 mile races), who also sports a white beard. 
The cabin was so comfortable and warm. Did I mention that I loved the people contained within it? Below are people drinking Coors beer (lots of the people were somehow affiliated with Coors brewing company. To the right are Gerry and Diana (they're friends). They're both such neat people! Gerry often plays Santa Claus at Christmas time. Any wonder? He's as nice as Santa, too.

No comments: