Yikes, it's nearly time to depart. There have been a few days since the last post & those have been completely non-packing days. Today a little happened, but there's been so much else with which I've needed to concern myself. At least now I can report having gone on a 4-hour climbing road ride yesterday (solo) and 2-hour today (with friends, thank goodness), so I have a little more confidence that my legs will be suited to the riding ahead. (It's more a confidence thing than anything else--it's too late now to gain any more fitness or strength.) And now my pedals and saddle are in the "Italy" pile growing on the floor. The next pedal stroke will be on Italian soil!
Tonight I went to a BBQ for my company and it was a really nice time to get to meet the significant others of my co-workers (those I haven't met before) and some co-workers are in from out-of-town. I finally was able to place much of the stress that's been building up continually out of my mind and relax a little. But still, I could use so much more time.
The more I talk about the trip, the more real it becomes, but yet I still cannot fathom what this new (old) world will be like. I'm excited, but in a different kind of way: without being able to imagine something, it will only become real when I'm actually there. The most exciting part, by a long shot, is (hopefully) meeting some cousins who live in/near the same old town where my Grandma spent a good deal of time when she was young. I've learned more about my Great Grandfather in the past week than I had ever known before--the trip has already shown its incredible value and I haven't gone anywhere yet.
Tonight I was debating out loud with my manager whether or not I should buy into the wine kitty. He feels very strongly that I should. I'm still luke-warm on it since it won't include any beer...they do have good beer in Europe, yes? It's not that far from Ireland, I should hope the Guinness is fresh. Hmmmmmmm...
No comments:
Post a Comment