Friday, August 21, 2009

Packing Day #1

Much of the fun of traveling is thinking about it and preparing for it. Since I have absolutely no idea what to expect, what things will look like, who I will see and interact with, etc., I haven't been spending much time thinking about the trip.

I'd love to report that in the past few months since I decided to go on this trip, that I've learned Italian. No, I've come up short (really short) in that area. I have accumulated a stack of books on Italy and its various regions, its cuisine, history and novels that are love letters to it. Most of the reading I've done dealing with Italy are books finished well before I decided to go there. My main excuse (if that's what it can be considered) is that I've keep incredibly busy with a variety of extracurricular activities of all kinds and work has been full-on as well.

I have accumulated an interesting set of information on this place through jumping around in these books and talking to others who all report they absolutely love it there. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to the List, the restaurants of where to eat, landmarks to visit, people to see. I will do my best to see and do everything (as my nature makes me inclined to try) and I'll do my best to blog back as often as possible.

Hopefully the Italian CDs that I've been listening to (yes, I even practice aloud so long as no one is anywhere near to hear me) have leaked into my brain. My iPhone is set to the Italian language. Every standard label on the phone is not translated...I'm beginning to understand. Thank goodness the "Call" button is green and "End Call" is red.

Tonight was the first real prep in the way of trying to pack. REI can hire another employee now that I got through there. The first cut of important things includes wipes that work in place of a shower (I trust I won't need them, but you never know), a very fun toothbrush holder that incorporates toothpaste and a skirt that is below my knees--so as to gain admittance to the Vatican and nearby venues. No knees or shoulders showing. I'm hoping it'll be cooler temps there then than it is right now.

I've been told to watch the movie "Angels & Demons" for a view of Vatican City and Rome. This afternoon I did a movie search and it turns out that tonight was the very last showing of the movie anywhere in Denver. So I ran up to the theater to catch it after REI. Yes, I saw more of Rome/Vatican City than I've ever seen before.

Did I mention that this trip is going to include a lot of bike riding? Yep, lots. I've never put in so few miles as I have in the past few weeks. Between racing crits at the end of July and a lot of random distractions, the miles have not been adding up. Thank goodness Italy is at sea level. The oxygen will make up for the fitness I've lost recently.

Time to get some sleep. The one thing I need more than anything else as I leave: a 100% immune system which includes not being overly tired, fatigued or stressed.

No comments: