The story is dramatically affected by a somewhat unrelated event yesterday that might be of use to you so I'll begin there.
My neighbor recently returned from something called TED. Ted, eh? Oh is this a conference for a bunch of guys named Ted or something? (His name isn't Theodore or any derivation thereof so I was puzzled.) Don't you love it when you learn something new? Like really new. Isn't that one of the best feelings? Anyway, this TED conference (which stands for Technology, Entertainment, Design) is this amazing speech-fest of inspired people. The good part is that they post the speeches for free and anyone can watch them. Go there and check it out: http://www.ted.com/.
Naturally, I started off by watching Elizabeth Gilbert since I relished her book “Eat, Pray, Love.” (In fact, on my last trip to Cali.) A few speeches later, a woman named Mena spoke about all of the wonders of blogging.
I've been needing a vacation for a long time. Last vacation (and real break from all stress and responsibility) was the last trip to Cali at the end of October. The last thing I needed was the additional stress of schlepping a laptop (and bike) through the airports. I'd decided I wouldn't take a computer. (Yes, I did decide that.) ...UNTIL that
speech got me to thinking about what I'd miss out on if I didn't blog.
This blog is my journal. I love the fact that I can communicate with you, since I've had so very little time I know I'm not spending the time that I should with people I care about. But on top of all else, I like to look back at blog entries to remind me of what I did on vacation, where I rode my bike, who was there to share it with me.
So to not blog on this trip would be selfish and I'd be forced to handwrite in a journal. My writing is nearly unreadable considering all I ever do is type. It's scary.
Here comes the technology itch. Probably my biggest weakness...tech toys. Fine, so if I have a smaller computer, I can blog and not worry about dragging it around with me.
At 9:30 last night I was at Target buying this little itty bitty Asus Eee PC notebook computer. Hard to call this a computer it's so small. But the resolution is amazing and it does everything
(and more) that it needs to do. Did I mention it's a Linux machine?!
Love it, back to the world where I am most comfortable. I'm sure Tux (the penguin) being the logo has something to do with it.
So far, I am a huge fan of this machine. The keys are tiny, but the typing speed isn't bad. I'm composing this post on OpenOffice and will publish it when I arrive in Cali. The plane is leaving a little late...this is good. More time to relax and just be. Deep breath. Again. A cold chill shoots through my body with excitement, vacation is finally here.
2 comments:
Hope you be havin' fun, Miss P !!!!!!!
What are the dimensions of that laptop ?
Where's the Mac ?!?!?!
Love, Skunk
Justin and Arrick are coming back for a visit next month !!!!
I just discovered OpenOffice this week and am loving it!
Glad to see you are doing well!
Post a Comment