Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tour of California - Day 3

Le Tour of California proved that life just wouldn't be the same without racing. Sure, I might not have been racing (or even wishing that I was racing), but once again (you've heard this in previous posts), I went on a trip that I might otherwise not have gone on and I visited towns that I might never have seen if it weren't for the racing...and getting to share the whole experience with others is always the coolest.

The people who attend races are the best. How can you go and not interact with the locals? Impossible. Everyone is smiling, though it might mean getting poured on, freezing, being absolutely miserable...but not really.


There was an element of this weekend that was simply comical. Yesterday it rained over 3” in the Bay area. Today we were able to avoid the rain (it down poured twice while we were in Santa Cruz, but there were ample awnings in the very cute town of Santa Cruz). Oh yeah, it also hailed some for a few seconds. Yes, really.

From trampolining to watching Lana play indoor baseball with a stress ball and IT Band-roller with da boyz, having nearly no reprieve from driving rain or wet clothes, watching a movie, making dinner and eating family-style with Lana and her guy friends (who are the equivalent to family to her, well, me, too, when I visit), nearly starving because watching the women's crit was more important to me than worrying about food...then being unable to navigate to find said food, again, a laughable, very enjoyable, definitely memorable, adventure.

Now I'm in the airport waiting for a plane to take off that is a full 2 hours late to leave. I have not been ready to leave, I don't care to go back to standard everyday life just yet. And here I am, not leaving. No part of me is tired, I think the adrenaline of the crowd and today's finish will keep me up for awhile still. Oh wait, that's right, there is no choice in the matter.


Below is a pic from the Santa Rosa final circuit portion of yesterday's race. More later, we're finally boarding!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So much fro SUNNY California !!!!
Hope you had a good trip home !!!!
Google - r-sys wheel recall
Love, Skunk