It's the end of another year and time for a short period of reflection. This has been one insane (read: busy in too many ways) year. I can't say that last year at this time I could have predicted much of what happened this year. Fortunately, that's fine and all definitely for the best, even the parts that were, on the surface, not as obviously good.
I took a break from road racing, but it helped me appreciate what it's all about and the break probably kept me from burning out.
I started my own very small business, it took a lot of time away from time I should have been out playing and having fun, but I learned so much from it. And that was a dream of mine for (almost) ever.
I definitely didn't spend enough time with friends, but I made a few and reconnected with old friends. (Don't you love the feeling of time standing still when you see an old friend? That's one way of seeing the strength of a friendship.)
Oh yeah, this year I was in Toast Masters so I did a lot of public speaking. I think that's the area of greatest improvement this year. I'll continue to work on that a lot next year as well.
The time that I spent working and unable to hang out with people made it oh-so-obvious that the only thing that really matters are time with family and friends (next to food, shelter and sleep). The rest is so insignificant. Time is so precious, I am focusing a great deal more now on my priorities and where things fall so as to properly choose how to spend time. (I don't pretend to be good at it yet.)
What's up for 2009? Once again, I can't foresee the future and that's okay. I'm comfortable not knowing what surprises are in store. If this year is anything like the last four, it will be anything but boring...I hope to race a lot more, help the company I work thrive, have many adventures in Colorado and abroad with my friends, (finally) travel to Europe, squander time less and make every moment matter more, stay positive and optimistic and have fun every day.
Happy 2009 to everyone!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment