Monday, July 16, 2007

Longmont Crit

Twin Peaks did another fabulous job of promoting the Longmont crit today. I'm not just saying this because I'm on the team, it's true. What other race can you go to and get free beer? (From the Lefthand brewery, too...it's GOOD beer.) Unfortunately, my race was at 3:50, so no free beer for me. Also tons of other quality stuff was being given out. My day was made when Jamba juice gave me a really cold smoothie.

The Longmont crit was the state criterium championship race, so it started (and stayed) fast and there were attacks all over the place. It was really exciting and I had a great time out there. This year, I didn't get intimate with the pavement and it was pretty safe. The heat out there, though, was killer. I can usually survive an hour crit without drinking, but today I had to drink a few times just to get through. The after-race hydration was ugly. Had to drink, but everything upset my stomach, so I drank tons and felt sick for a few hours.

Congratulations to Vitamin Cottage for taking the state crit title...they deserve it considering how well they race as a team. At one point, I was in a break with one of their racers...neither of us was working all that hard, but the rest of the VC team was doing such a good job blocking, we gained a decent gap on the pack quickly. It only took a lap or two for the pack to catch us, though, which was just as well.

My Twin Peaks teammates and some friends (Amy, Cari, Julie, sorry if I didn't realize who you were) were awesome cheering and keeping it fun! It was so great to have you all out there. I think I absorb the energy from the crowd, it means a lot.

That's it for racing stories from this weekend. Yesterday I slept and did an opener ride & watched le Tour with Cristienne & Scott. There have been a few weekends now where every day hasn't been all-bike related and it has been a pleasant change, though I'm starting to look forward to base training (long days on the road) again.

No comments: