The ride was as much about time to myself and doing something good for myself as taking advantage of the nice fall day to see the colors and breathe fresh air. Riding twice in 3 days seems excessive, almost something I don't deserve. However, I do and I have tried to give all of myself to work concerns, leaving very little left. There is always more to be done, I will get behind as a result, but considering how many nice days (and nights) I've missed in order to do important work things, this is fine. Lately, I haven't been sleeping well. Part of this is missing bike rides. They are necessary for physical and mental health.*
Prior to last week, I'd gotten so behind in reading that it was another extreme point of frustration. I used to be in good habits where this was concerned, but those went up in smoke when I left simple Denver life. I hate not knowing what's going on in the world or being versed in a variety of random stuff. Last week I made a point to take an hour or two almost daily to read the Wall Street Journal and any magazine or book that caught my attention. Taking an hour or two out of a 15-hour work day is completely justifiable and I reveled in it.
As for the time I'm not sleeping, I'm stuck in Tyler Hamilton's book The Secret Race. I didn't know that I wanted to read it because hearing the truth about doping can be depressing and, of course, doping is a reality of the sport (I don't approve in the slightest), but it's been obvious for years of what's been going on. When I raced at national-level races, I never suspected teammates or opponents of doping. I'd like to believe that it really wasn't that prevalent amongst women pro racers as there's no money in the sport for women and taking something body-altering like easy-to-get testosterone isn't something most women would want.
I raced against a woman in Italy who I was told failed at least 2 drug tests in her pro racing days. She was a national champion and I almost always took second to her. I didn't care if she was beating me because of her natural strength or some sort of performance enhancing drug, she was the better rider who had more road beneath her than did I. It was obvious that I was clean and I was respected by the guys out there for knowing how to race and maintaining some level of femininity, strong yet able to put on a race face at the same time. I still smile inside when I think of what it was like finishing a Gran Fondo. Whoever I was racing with/against and I would always shake hands and congratulate each other on a fun race. The guys were so chivalrous and respectful, opposite Italian stereotypes. I did see some amateur (younger) men dope in the Italian peloton and it is as easy and inexpensive to get as the stories tell, what I saw was testosterone and heard believable stories about specific riders on steroids and EPO.
The effect of Tyler's book is having is an unexpected one, it's making me think about racing. I don't want to go back to racing like I did it before, but I would like to regain my race form. At least thinking about racing helped me to get back into the training mindset yesterday when I was riding.
Yes, I'm back to training base miles. If I can get through the winter and get on the trainer some, I will be race-fit come spring. I'm not committing to anything here, but talking about it out loud is the first step.
First stop: bathroom break, double espresso and an apple treat at the cafe in Maynard. Cute place, full of people. I like Maynard since it's full of old factory buildings, perfect loft opportunities.
I'd wanted to make it to Wachusett, and somehow did at about 3:45, too late in the day for this late in the season. Clouds that looked like they contained snow hovered over the mountain.
Skiing will be happening here soon enough!
Road just prior to the summit. It was steeper and longer than I'd remembered it.
Is this the best water fountain ever or what? Dog, hiker and cyclist all get to be hydrated comfortably. Thank goodness for this as I was completely out of water when I got back to the base of Wachusett.
I was also starving. The town of Sterling is probably about 10 miles from the summit of Wachusett. By the time I got back here, I didn't have much left in the tank.
This pizza establishment didn't have slices of pizza left at 5pm. Yes, it was getting late, I had to eat and it needed to be fast. The man who ran the pizza shop was great. "You tell me what you want, I make it." This was the best sandwich. It's as big as it looks. I ate the whole thing. He heated veggies over the grill, added mozzarella, salted, peppered, drizzled with pizza sauce and stuffed the bread. Go there. He was so nice and accommodating and he saved me from grabbing a Monster and Clif bar from the neighboring convenience store. (Nothing wrong, though, with the Monster and Clif bar, really...they've saved me on many occasions when a bonk was moments away.)
I had a set of lights on me - Nightrider 600 lumens, a single-unit (battery and light together) for the front and Knog Blinder in the back. Both worked on pitch black roads (no eye strain for me & I was obvious to cars) and were easy enough to take with me without being a burden. I'd sacrifice no more than 50 lumens to be adequate in such conditions. Night riding is an endless serene world without stress. I highly recommend it and I miss it when I can't do it.
My beautiful bike (yes, I've been keeping it clean now that I'm not scared of cleaning it) is riding as great as ever, offering the most wonderful, easy, zippy-yet-comfy riding everywhere I take it. I can thank it for 82 miles total yesterday, 4,900 feet of climbing and benefits to which numbers can't be attached.


1 comment:
Thanks for the newsy blog, it's fun to keep up with your adventures.
Post a Comment