Ah, first, let's begin with a drink...
Verona is a lovely city that is quite beautiful, offers a fantastic variety of architecture and old stone (massive stone) roads from the Romans. It's famous, of course, as we all know it from Romeo and Juliet (Giulietta as it should be in Italian).
This is the famous balcony..."Romeo, romeo, where art thou oh Romeo?" or at least I think that's how Juliet began her famous speech.
It was around 45 degrees, chillier than it has been in Italy this fall. I was happy with the cooler day, I'm not quite sure why I'm not missing the warmer weather yet.
As with the trip to Florence recently, there weren't too many tourists and it was fun to rap in Italian with the locals. I find it more fun to try to speak in these places where they're used to most Americans only speaking English and I'm rarely having anyone flip the conversation over into English.
Old Roman stone road.
Not sure on the history of this stadium, but it's gotta be Roman.
In the center of town with a nice open-air market.
Interesting story I have to share just because it really made me angry. Hard to get me mad, but this did it. I was hoping to buy a touch of eye make-up. Just sounded like a nice idea today, so I popped into a shop that sells all varieties. I asked for the most inexpensive that would look good. She shows me what she has and I ask for the price. She evades the question, offers me mascara to go along with the box of eye shadow and takes them straight to the cashier. The cashier has everything wrapped up and on the register before they stop to tell me how much I owe. (As might be expected), I'm still curious. 67 euro. That's like $80. 45 euro for eye shadow alone. ARE YOU SERIOUS? Nice work people, not stealing my money today. Who pays those prices? Clearly someone must be, but who? It's a scam. Out of principle I wouldn't and will not pay that. I wonder how much make-up cost back in the day when a dude played the role of Juliet (once upon a time they didn't have female actors).
After the Verona trip, we went to a store that sells American food, yes, you heard me right. I stocked up on peanut butter, refried beans, salsa, pancake mix, grapenuts and all the essential ingredients for a pumpkin pie. I love Italian food, but get giddy when I have the option (which is nearly never) to pick up some old favorites.
Let me be the first to wish you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow!!! Gobble, gobble and enjoy the company of those with whom you eat!
2 comments:
Oh Patria! How much makeup cost when a dude played Juliet!!! You are hilarious!! Miss you!
Patria! How much makeup cost when a dude played the role of Juliet!! You are hilarious! Miss you!
Post a Comment