Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Jet Lag and Reverse Culture Shock

I've been awake since 4 am this morning and couldn't keep my eyes open past 9 pm last night. So the jet lag is perfectly okay with me right now. Last year after coming home from Italy, I had an insane desire to fall asleep mid-day but that hasn't happened yet. Hoping it continues this way!

So far, I'm simply happy being home and having time to get over the cold (pretty much gone now fortunately). Since I've just been home and chillin' with my folks, there haven't been many opportunities for reverse culture shock. Yesterday I visited the cellphone store with my mom and it felt strange to do a transaction in English. I'm still cellphone-less...after living for 6 months with a contract-less cellphone, I'd love to keep it that way. Last night we went to Barnes and Noble...I love bookstores but was disappointed to see all of the books in English. Ha ha! I'd like to know all of the translations of all of the books in Italian bookstores...would there be soooooo many "how to be happy" books? The secret to this, that and the other thing.... I bet not, but who knows. Not knowing all of Italian, it's easy to assume all of the Italian books are on history, art, love, food and sports.

The weirdest thing was perusing the technology books...there are whole new concepts, acronyms, etc. just published in the last 6 months in that section. (For reference, it's that section and the business section that I have most frequented in the past.) Makes one feel like one has been sleeping for 6 months or put in a time machine into the future. It's slightly unnerving. Thus far, though, there hasn't been a real reverse culture shock. Not working might play a huge role in this...will keep ya posted (assuming this awesome jet lag continues and I have lots of time before people wake up each day).

No comments: