Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Vacation Update, Happy Independence Day!

I've been doing nothing but speaking and listening to Italian for a week, I'm going to blog in English.

Last week I didn't have class which was really great...I put in some good time studying and found time for a few other extracurriculars. One involved going to an outdoor pool in an amazingly beautiful place not too far from here a couple of times. When it's too hot to do anything else, it feels amazing to bask in the sun and take a dip. Time after the Dolomiti was spent recovering some, it was exhausting on the body (possibly because of the higher altitude). Spent more time relaxing than riding and that was just fine with me.

I met up with Ciclismo Classico when they rolled through town, that was a fun enounter as always. Watched the paper-making process in Bevagna, as well, something I couldn't see when I was on the tour since I was off trying to see the place. Love to hang out for the day with the Americans and (of course) my guide friends. Interesting to see what questions they have and hear their reactions. There's a lot to American culture that I took for granted before and have now forgotten about. I have really gotten into the Italian life here. I've changed the way I eat food (fork in the left hand, knife in the right...apparently it's English, but the Italians eat this way as well), dress, etc. My nails are all pretty now. That's a first in 10 years. When offered food, I have learned that it is important to eat. Never say no.

Today was a great ride, covering some of the roads I saw on the Ciclismo trip (backwards) from Gubbio to Assisi, but not to Assisi. These were roads that weren't riddled with potholes, gotta love that (hard to find around here). On one water stop, some older guy in Gubbio who makes his own wine offered glasses of it to us from his home. Seriously, he opened his front door and let us come in for wine. Another cool part of today's ride (besides the fact that it was a big, fun group) was that I saw a few guys that I haven't seen in a couple of months...back then, I could hardly understand or say anything. Today we could banter on the bike.

Sometimes the frustration of not being able to say what I want to gets to me. In fact, a couple of weeks ago I almost shouted in English and it felt so amazingly good. Now with the language starting to be a little easier, I'm feeling a bit more at ease and (trust me) there's still frustration, but it's not quite as totally exhausting with having to strain to hear and speak. I expect it to take another 3 months before I'm speaking with ease. At this point, I can understand pretty much all basic conversation and dialog of soap operas (yes, soap operas. There's a German one here that I watch with my friend's mom if it's on when I'm at her house).

Something I have noticed is that I have information in my head that I don't know where it's from. Some of the stuff I know is just floating around without a language. Other stuff is in English...some conversations I've had with my Italian friends I remember as having been in English. It's weird. How is it that I can have (in particular one) very close friend who speaks no English? It is just odd. I never imagined I'd be in this sort of situation. I've heard stories from others about people who didn't speak the same language, but now I'm living it daily. In the past I tended to shy away from people who spoke English with a strong accent because I was self-conscious. I give my friends here so much credit for being cool with me not speaking.

Another activity this past week was shopping in a place that looked and felt like an American mall. I don't like malls much in the U.S. I have about an hour worth of tolerance for all of the people, lack of sunlight and not cool clothes. But I totally surprised myself when I walked into the mall...I was overcome with joy at being at a place that reminded me of the U.S. There was a store just like Best Buy, so I spent time drooling over the electronics, computers, etc. It all felt great. But weird to hear Italian being spoken everywhere. It was fun to go out with a girlfriend. If there's one thing a girl needs, it's girl-time. I miss my friends from the US a lot, but have resigned myself to simply not having that sort of dynamic here. But this, as well as everything is beginning to fall into place a bit more. I've been so fortuntate to meet great people.

Classes have begun again and I'd love to tell you how they are, but I can't say just yet...I attended one set of classes yesterday and today (really like the class and professors), but tomorrow through the rest of the month will be another set of classes and profs whom I don't know yet.

OH I totally forgot to report on the small world stories...I have 2 more! The latest is when I went apartment shopping today, the woman who is currently living in an apartment that I might live in during August is from Pueblo. It was funny because I was speaking Italian with the woman from the office and when we went to check out the apartment and this woman opened the door, the lady from the office told me that I had to speak English. Turns out the lady is a bit older and here for a month of Italian classes. Sounds like there's a very strong Italian program in Pueblo. Who would have thought it?

Just finished watching the very end of the Tour and the women's giro. Pretty cool to see Americans racing it who I've raced with in the past (okay, not like we should have been in the same race...I'm a tiny fraction of strength next to these women)...but still, it's cool to see women's racing on regular tv here and see the Americans at the front.

Internet has been broken, I wrote most of this awhile ago but am just now posting it. Hope you all had an awesome Independence Day!!!

No comments: