"Love doesn't make the world go around, but it's what makes the trip worthwhile."Baci means "kisses" in Italian. The Perugina chocolate factory (located in Perugia) makes Baci which are big (much tastier) versions of the Hersey's kiss. In fact, they have a whole hazelnut in the top of them and a cute little sayings in multiple languages. I had a baci today at lunch and the above quote came from its wrapper. I lost the wrapper, otherwise I'd include the original Italian way of saying it.
Every single day, I exchange kisses with friends and spend time with some absolutely phenomenal people. It's nothing short of the coolest thing ever to have this community here. Make no mistake, this community is comprised as much by people of other countries as the Italians. There are quite a few days I haven't blogged, so here's an attempt to capture some of the highlights of those days.
Last Monday, one of the girls in my class had a birthday. One of the students baked a torta (it was a many-layer crepe-like strawberry sort-of cake) and we all surprised her during a break in grammar class. Here's a picture of everyone just before she came in (sorry, this means a few people are missing since she and a couple of others weren't here). Bottom left is one of our professors. As I've mentioned in the past, we are a global crowd. Every continent but one is represented in a single photograph. So many different cultures, with two things in common: the Italian language and we're all buds in this thing together.
Last Thursday, the Chinese students threw a party. They made a remarkable spread of amazing food and almost everyone in class showed up to it. Sorry I don't have any pictures. The next day, I spent a bunch of time with my Chinese friends. They made a truly awesome lunch. I couldn't get over how tasty and healthy it was. No wonder Chinese people are so healthy!
Really never considered learning about cultures and cuisine other than Italian in Italy. After lunch, I watched a good hour (or more) of that day's stage in the Giro d'Italia with two of my Chinese friends and tried explaining the nuances of the race to them. Not sure if they were quite as jazzed as I to see that stage (they were great at letting me go on and on about tactics, team dynamics, etc.), but it was pretty fun having the company.
At one point or another, I need to find burrito ingredients and introduce everyone to them. If there are two things I miss here, it's Illegal Pete's burritos and almond butter. Okay, a smoothie once in a while would be good, too. Otherwise, I'm completely content. And if you wonder why I'm up so late, it's that I can't sleep after a big dinner. There have been a lot of big, good dinners lately...loving it and am okay with the new sleeping schedule (considering sleeping in is a fine option).
Gnocchi has been on the menu fairly regularly lately in my kitchen and in the kitchens of my Italian friends. Nice. Gnocchi with truffle sauce...even nicer. Tonight the meal revolved around super fresh asparagus. Mmmm. Oops, my stomach has once again taken over my brain. Back to la cultura.
Yesterday after class, a lot of us went for gelato (guess who's idea that was...yeah...) Afterwards we sat on the steps and talked for a good long time (like a couple of hours). Again, awesome to be having full conversations with my classmates who don't speak English, who come from way different cultures half-way across the globe...places I only know from a few news stories I've heard in the past. They give the place color: I have learned more in one afternoon with my classmates than I ever knew in the past or could have ever learned in school and remembered. The conversation I had yesterday won't be forgotten--thanks for the enlightenment and the non-media perspective!
Le Americane
Here's my Facebook post for today: Speed Play pedalati sono cose del passato per me. Sono un corridore della strada adesso. Ho visto 3 donne Americani (loro sono de Vail, CO) nella strada in biciclette. Gli aiuto a trovare Perugia. Quindi, oggi era il mio primo giorno come una guida!
So let me explain (if you ever need to translate anything I write, and you might more in the near future as these blogs slowly turn into Italian), go to Google Translator. It's good enough to get the gist of what I'm saying, just don't type in English, translate it and expect it to be right. With the verb conjugations, Google can't know what you are trying to say in Italian from the English most of the time.
Tonight I visited my favorite bike shop. They gave me a whole new setup of Shimano cleats and pedals for 45 euro (my Speed Play cleats were worn out again and Speed Plays are typically great in crits, not road races). On the trip home, I saw three women riding road bikes. Considering how many local women I've seen ride a road bike here (outside of races) since I've been in the country (2--YES TWO), I figured they had to be tourists. So I rode up to them and in my most casual, extra effort to have an Italian accent style, said hi and asked them where they're from in Italian. It was obvious they didn't know Italian based on their slight hesitation to answer back immediately. That was me last summer, so fun to be coming from the "local" perspective now. Anyway, these women are from Vail! It was fun to drop the accent when they said they're from Colorado and say, "ME TOO!" in my most blunt American "accent" in English. Crazy small world, eh?
One of them lived in Italy for 7 months years ago and returns to Italy once a year. They all commented on the crazy Italian drivers (drivers here have tons of respect for cyclists) and how they feel safer as cyclists here on the roads than than on those in Colorado. My thoughts exactly. We chatted and rode for about a 1/2 hour and they were a little unsure as to which way to go. I took them to their albergo, showing them the best gelato in town on the way. Before we parted in the town square, some other tourist wanted our picture for his photo collection of his trip--I so wish I had my camera on me! Town is fairly well full with tourists, tour buses, etc. I'm really glad I got to town before this season started.
I almost never see an American here, but I don't ever feel odd about that. It's got to help that I grew up being with a very mixed group of ethnicities and have always felt more comfortable when everyone was different. Thinking about it more, all my life I have always put myself in places where I don't exactly fit.
The Big Decision of the Day
I'm starting to feel that slight itch to work again. Safe to say that when I do start working, I'll be incredibly ready. It's not for financial reasons, either. Life here is very inexpensive (think college student cheap and the dollar is stronger now) so I haven't worried at all about what's happening in the bank. In fact, bills are paid automatically, I am turning a blind eye at the moment. The other day, I bought a huge bag of fruits and vegetables (monster red pepper, oranges, lettuce, zucchini, tomatoes, a couple of bunches of bananas) all for 9 euro. If I didn't ride a bike (and eat sooo much), it would cost even less.
The reason I say all of this is that it's odd when the "major" stress of the day came when my roommate was in the shower when I needed to get in the shower. Fortunately, she got out in time. The big decision of the day was what flavors of gelato to get to take to an Italian dinner party. Really? Yeah, seriously. Winners: cherry, vanilla and pistacchio. Dinner was great and the company was, as well. It's totally freaky that I can understand almost every word people are saying. I'm still missing the point some of the time, but this is weird. Ever want to be a fly on the wall in a conversation? That's me...in some ways I think I liked it better when I couldn't understand anything, the "good ol' days" when Italians never uttered a curse word or had a dirty thought. That was a little over two weeks ago now.
I've had so many conversations where people (usually Italian men) warn me about Italian men. Hilarious. So I'm not here to fall in love; fortunately, this was the expectation going in. It'll be great some day, when it's right. (Nice advice I've received from family and friends on the topic.) While I am surrounded by people demonstrating love to each other and me every day and there are kisses as a bonus...how could I ask or wish for anything more?
No comments:
Post a Comment